2003 Civic Si Type R convers. vs. GSR, stock Si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

just read a little of the article while at the bookstore. Hasport swapped a K20 motor into a new civic si and they race it against an integra GSR and a stock 2003 civic si, and against an RSX too i think. just incase anyone might find that interesting. check it out. yellow civic si on the cover.

yea, i forgot what site it was, but they had an artical about them putting a rsx-s engine into a si and they said that it was a easy swap except they had to put the car on a lift to get the engines in and out. The other hard part is they have to grind out a place for the reverse because the si is a 5 speed the rsx-s is a 6 speed.

they put the sixth gear where reverse would be then they had to grind out a 7th slot for the reverse (this is all on the gearshifter)

that whole engine swap was a huge dissapointment it ran a .6 better time than stock.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Nov 9 2002, 12:00 PM
that is what i was trying to say but for reverse they had to make a new slot

Make a slot where? I dont knwo how the new shifters are but there are no slots on my Civic.

lol- yeah-

is the consoel like notched?? cuz usually its just a free for all in the shifter- the gears are in any given spot based on the tranny- not the shifter placement

Finishing Touches
The final phase of this swap also happens to be the toughest part. The shift housing has to be modified to allow the transmission to shift into reverse, since the reverse position has been replaced by the 6th gear. The shift assembly has to be uninstalled and disassembled. The travel stop is then cut/ground off and the shifter assembly is reinstalled.

Next, the exhaust has to be connected to the catalytic converter. This is an easy job for a competent welder. The exhaust has to be cut and shorteded by approximately 2".

Hybrid honda

This was on the rsx-type s engine not the type r but i am guessing that the type r is a six speed also

i thought it was dissapointing as well
Type-S and Type-R are the same motor just JDM vs. USDM

and yes the tranny is the same, just a little higher compression in JDM K20 i think

like i said S and R are the same

but they give us(all :ghey:)
Acura Badges
no red carpet
no recaro's
no Type-R badges
no RHD

but other than that the same.

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Nov 12 2002, 03:43 AM
i thought it was dissapointing as well
Type-S and Type-R are the same motor just JDM vs. USDM

no- not true....

jdm type r k20's get 4.7 final drive, where as usdm k20's get 4.3 final drive.

there are many differences between the two cars, the cams, valvetrain, pistons, intake manifold, exhaust manifold are all different or ported, polished to get additional hp.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 10 2002, 01:19 AM
lol- yeah-

is the consoel like notched?? cuz usually its just a free for all in the shifter- the gears are in any given spot based on the tranny- not the shifter placement

I believe they had to notch a spot because the new Civic SI and the RSX-S have cable shifter (not the solid link shifters we are used to.

Back