2003 CRV auto transmission fluid change

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
Anyone ever do a transmission fluid change (without a machine, no flush).
Historically speaking I always avoiding changing auto transmission fluid as you lose the metal flake/particles, and sometimes it does not play out as planned.
I have a slight stutter in my CRV, seems to be a part throttle variable speed type issue, not associated with shifts, or even medium/hard acceleration. Just part throttle maintaining speed, could be 15-40 mph. Intermittent.
Internet research suggests a transmission fluid change might solve this.
130k miles, not sure if transmission has ever been serviced.

Did the transmission service yesterday. 129,553 miles.
18 inch slim funnel, 3/8 ratchet, drain pan, ramps, 10 quarts honda ATF, and a new crush washer.
Drain, fill, drive 5-10 miles, drain, fill drive 5-10 miles, drain, new crush washer, fill.
Run through the gears, level the car, and check fluid once last time, top off if necessary.
(I think the actual procedure technically calls for one more drain and fill.)

I have put about 30 miles on so far with no notice-able stutter so far.
On Saturday it was very prevalent holding a steady 40mph, about 1500 rpms, in around 75-80 degrees.
I've been trying to drive in that sweet spot as often as possible, and no issues so far.
Hopefully I have this all figured out.

Technically a pump and dump isnt a trans service you still have pump screen etc still internally that need to be changed but regardless a fluid exchange is good maintainence but dont think for a minute it will get rid/take care of underlying trans issues if you were having shifting issues, they will return , if just for maint should be fine

Just a slight stutter/shudder. Not associated with shifts, as stated in original post.
Internet research has shown a fluid change to solve the issue, so I shall remain hopeful.
No re-occurrences to date, nearing 100 miles since fluid change.

Agreed that it does seem wasteful, but this appears to be the same service a tech would do on a lift. As per the honda service bulletin, if the internet sources are correct anyway.

correct other than they would do fluid evac with a machine to empty the pan and torque converter and drop the pan and change gasket/trans filter then refill with a machine, im sure the pump screen is fine though and put some pep back in the trans, I swear by lucas grab gear trans fluid additive

Not sure if you're talking about a transmission flush or not.
The machine powered flush is specifically not recommended by Honda.
I'm fairly sure you know way more about this than I do.

Not sure if you're talking about a transmission flush or not.
The machine powered flush is specifically not recommended by Honda.
I'm fairly sure you know way more about this than I do.
honda dealers have one that they disconnect the transmission lines from the trans cooler and one feeds new fluid while the other side is receiving the old fluid and its changed with the vehicle running under its own pump power , when fresh fluid is coming out of the inlet its finished

thank you, that makes sense.
I wish I had one of those machines. I wonder how much it would have been to have the dealer do the fluid change.

I was trying to avoid taking it to the dealer, as if this fluid change did not work, I already had a few trade in offers from local honda dealers and didn't want something funky to pop up under the VIN.
One place offered me $2800, and another offered me $3000 for trade in value.

on that vehicle and mileage I personally wouldnt have taken it to the dealer either, pump and dump and keep on truckin

Follow up update on this. Sold the car Monday the 29th, with ~131,500 miles.
Had put about 2000 miles over 7 weeks. Never had a single re-occurance of the transmission stutter.
Consider this problem solved. Transmission should be good for another 30k before it needs another fluid change.
$100 well spent to determine the tranny was not cooked or otherwise messed up.

sold, so what did you get?

was asking $5500, ended up getting $5k for it which was at the top end of private party value.
I had all the service records from Honda from 2006-2015, and then my records from 2015-2018.
CPO window sticker, service book and owners manual, 2 keys with key fobs plus valet key.
snow tires on EX wheels with 10k miles, plus all seasons on EX wheels about 75% worn, probably good for another summer season.

Dealers offered me 2800-3000 for trade in, craigslist lowballers offered 3500 and 3700.
I had fixed all the issues and figured I would end up keeping it one more winter and then flip it in the spring.

Was just on my way out the door to Sullivan Honda in CT to check out a CPO 2015 with 27k miles, but they sent it to the detailer to get cleaned up.

Back