2009 Corvette ZR1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

"One of the most amazing things about the Corvette ZR1 is the level of refinement that our designers and engineers have attained. Even with all that power, this car has road manners that will allow our customers to enjoy it on the streets as a daily driver, and on the track," said Chevrolet General Manager Ed Peper.

The Corvette ZR1 goes on sale this summer. Its 638-hp supercharged engine is complemented in the chassis by heavy-duty components not offered in any other model, including a six-speed manual transmission with race-hardened gears and dual-disc clutch technology that delivers exceptional clamping power and lower inertia, as well as strengthened axle components.

Anyone else see something wrong with those two statement.

Holy shit, i just read this too.

A dry-sump oiling system with 10.5-quart (9.9 liters) capacity

Specifications

LS9 6.2L SUPERCHARGED V-8
Displacement (cu in / cc):
376 / 6162
Bore & stroke (in / mm):
4.06 x 3.62 / 103.25 x 92
Block material:
cast aluminum
Cylinder head material:
A356-T6 rotocast aluminum
Valvetrain:
overhead valve, 2 valves per cylinder
Fuel delivery:
SFI (sequential fuel injection)
Compression ratio:
9.1:1
Horsepower / kW:
638 / 476 @ 6500 rpm
Torque (lb-ft / Nm):
604 / 819 @ 3800 rpm
Fuel shut-off (rpm):
Recommended fuel:
premium required
Exhaust manifolds:
stainless steel
Main bearing caps:
forged steel
Crankshaft:
forged steel
Camshaft:
hollow steel; 0.555-in (14.1 mm) lift
Connecting rods:
forged titanium
Valves:
intake: titanium
exhaust: hollow steel
Valve lifters:
hydraulic roller
Supercharger:
R2300, four-lobe "Roots" type (2.3L)
Additional features:
piston oil-spray cooling; direct-mount ignition coils; 11-rib accessory drive

Thats one hell of a road car.

Last edited:
The clutch uses a special plate thats a new technology that makes the pedal feel very light, so it remains streetable. They basically use two clutches to achieve these results from what I read IIRC.

well the clutch needs some work (they suck) ill go in to that later but the car also has carbon rotors that are like $800 each its basicly a bad ass Z06 with a out rageous price tag and also the cadilac that is similar is waw diffrent and the car you are refering to is a CTSV

Just another american product of gas guzzling wonder that a 500hp civic will destroy at the track.

well the clutch needs some work (they suck) ill go in to that later but the car also has carbon rotors that are like $800 each its basicly a bad ass Z06 with a out rageous price tag and also the cadilac that is similar is waw diffrent and the car you are refering to is a CTSV

The new CTS-V will have the same engine as the ZR1. The 2009 Caddy CTS- with the supercharged vette engine (whatever the engine code is now, LS2??) just posted the fastest time for a full size production sedan around the Nurburing.

There's still vast differences because of the size of the two cars, but the '09 CTS-V posts times that are fairly similar to the vette.

I'll take two, please.

B, E, Cel, and Clayton ya'll wanna foot that bill for me? That'd be great.

Just another american product of gas guzzling wonder that a 500hp civic will destroy at the track.

Can you pass whatever you're smoking?

1) A 500hp civic *will* be a gas guzzler.
2) The corvette is not a gas guzzler - the car regularly sees mid 20mpg. Which is quite funny considering it has double the power of a civic, yet has comparable fuel economy compared to certain models. The LS series (LS1, LS2, LS6) are some of the best engines every made in my opinion. They can rev high, they make incredible horsepower and torque and given the power they make they get outstanding gas mileage. Oh, lets not forget how light these engines are for V8's.
3) A 500hp civic would not beat a 500hp corvette given two drivers with equal skill. A 500hp corvette's powerband is much wider than a 500hp civic's powerband. The corvette has much better gearing. The corvette is more aerodynamic and depending on the year the vette can also be lighter than the civic.
4) You may not like American cars [frankly I don't care for American cars] but if you understand performance, you have to respect the corvette. The Z06 competes with Porsche GT3's out of the box and still represents a significant cost savings. What exactly does a civic compete with out of the box?

The new CTS-V will have the same engine as the ZR1. The 2009 Caddy CTS- with the supercharged vette engine (whatever the engine code is now, LS2??) just posted the fastest time for a full size production sedan around the Nurburing.

There's still vast differences because of the size of the two cars, but the '09 CTS-V posts times that are fairly similar to the vette.

2009 Cadillac CTS-V Sets Nurburgring Record

Can you pass whatever you're smoking?

1) A 500hp civic *will* be a gas guzzler.
2) The corvette is not a gas guzzler - the car regularly sees mid 20mpg. Which is quite funny considering it has double the power of a civic, yet has comparable fuel economy compared to certain models. The LS series (LS1, LS2, LS6) are some of the best engines every made in my opinion. They can rev high, they make incredible horsepower and torque and given the power they make they get outstanding gas mileage. Oh, lets not forget how light these engines are for V8's.
3) A 500hp civic would not beat a 500hp corvette given two drivers with equal skill. A 500hp corvette's powerband is much wider than a 500hp civic's powerband. The corvette has much better gearing. The corvette is more aerodynamic and depending on the year the vette can also be lighter than the civic.
4) You may not like American cars [frankly I don't care for American cars] but if you understand performance, you have to respect the corvette. The Z06 competes with Porsche GT3's out of the box and still represents a significant cost savings. What exactly does a civic compete with out of the box?

1) A 500 hp civic is NOT a gas guzzler, granted your not in boost constantly and WILL get better than 20mpg,

2) An engine is and engine and cannot produce that mass of power without the use of more gasoline. Your point is pointless, you lay into a vette all day and your 20mpg just went out of the window. Same with a turbocharged civic.

3) Correction, my 550whp civic has beaten two 500+ hp corvettes, at the track, both cars on tire. Both cars street cars. Dont give me that driver crap, I don't see many people with 10 second cars that cannot drive them. And for your information, my powerband was from 5200 rpm to 9200 rpm. Go call chevy and tell them I said hello...

4) I respect domestic cars, I respect all cars. I chose not to drive them for many reasons other than the reason I own a civic. Take a good look at the automotive market and see who is selling the most cars... Chevy is barely holding on and the only thing that was keeping them alive was their flex-fuel engine design which isnt so great with all the Hybrid action coming out. I love America, but they are way behind in the automotive field, period.

Facts are facts, plain and simple. If you understand how an engine works than maybe you would understand performance that much more. If you desire to go out and spend 50+ thousand dollars on a new vette, go for it. Its your retirement not mine.

You can turbocharge any piece of crap to go 10 seconds. It doesn't matter what vehicle it is. There are diesel trucks that run 10's. There are GN's that run 10's and I could get on a bike and run 10's. It dosn't matter. If you turbo a civic, you're still going home to a civic.

The fact you think in terms of straightline power only for corvette's is disgusting. DO you know what the nurburing is? Do you know why the GTR is so feared? Because it destroys on a track....where there are turns. It actually is a lil slower in the 1/4 mile compared to a z06. Yeah. Nuts. But it destroyed it by 8 seconds on the track or something. BIG difference.

Some day, I hope when you take a turn in your 500hp beast you don't plow into oncoming traffic because you built your car super straight and you know, that getting pwoer to the ground, isn't engineered like it is in the z06. Something that you someday will see, when you see outside of the box.

If going fast in a quarter is your cup of tea. That's great. More power to ya. I understand the dollar argument if you just want to go fast for 10 seconds or less. That's great.

I personally like to turn once in a while.

You can turbocharge any piece of crap to go 10 seconds. It doesn't matter what vehicle it is. There are diesel trucks that run 10's. There are GN's that run 10's and I could get on a bike and run 10's. It dosn't matter. If you turbo a civic, you're still going home to a civic.

The fact you think in terms of straightline power only for corvette's is disgusting. DO you know what the nurburing is? Do you know why the GTR is so feared? Because it destroys on a track....where there are turns. It actually is a lil slower in the 1/4 mile compared to a z06. Yeah. Nuts. But it destroyed it by 8 seconds on the track or something. BIG difference.

Some day, I hope when you take a turn in your 500hp beast you don't plow into oncoming traffic because you built your car super straight and you know, that getting pwoer to the ground, isn't engineered like it is in the z06. Something that you someday will see, when you see outside of the box.

If going fast in a quarter is your cup of tea. That's great. More power to ya. I understand the dollar argument if you just want to go fast for 10 seconds or less. That's great.

I personally like to turn once in a while.

First off, you cannot just turbocharge something and go 10's... secondly, I can take as many turns in my civic without plowing into anything. You bring up the vette and the gtr... come on bro, get back to reality and realize you probably will never own either one. And if your a fan of fiberglass, than you know what happens when a mid-high mph crash situation causes to the body/chassis of that vette.

I see just fine in and outside of the box, and I personally think the vette is a waste of money in every aspect and the only people you will see driving them are wealthy old men who can afford them ontop of the ridiculous insurance rates. The gtr on the other hand is a different story. That car is amazing and I am a fan of their gear boxes.

I know off the top of my head, two people who own fast vettes and the only thing they both like about them are the looks they get from girls when they drive it. Sure it handles good, but where in the US do normal people with career's and families go to indulge in those massive corners at higher speeds? The track? Pfftt, dont humor me.

In my eyes, its just not worth the MSRP.

Last edited:
Really, you're beyond hope.

I didn't realize that your car was a 1/4mile car and that you even had the audacity to compare that to the corvette.

ZR1 is nice, but I think Chevy could've done some more work to the exterior and interior for a car north of $100k. I mean, the engineering is great, but you think they may want to spend some time on the interior materials. I've sat in an 08' Z06, and it's trim quality is less than a base model 08 A4 we have here at work. Granted, everyone will argue that its not the point, but I shouldn't feel like I'm driving a RWD Cobalt with 550whp. And additionally its making all of it's 638whp through the rear wheels.

It's going to be a great track car, but for a fast weekend car - in that price range - buy something German.

well i work on corvettes all day long building 4L60-Es that will hold 900-1000hp for them and installing them and none of the 500 hp cars that i have seen will beet a 500hp civic lets see the vette weighs 3000-3500lbs and the civic 2000-2600 now look at he weight diffrence for one. and as for the new clutch technology that they are using in the 08 and newer modles sucks the master slave combo that they have suck we have converted 3 08 Z06 to 6spd automatics this wear because people hate the clutches and no one really make a master or slave to improve them. we have a 08 ZO6 right now with 60mi on it and the junk ass clutch wont disengage. its a shame they cant get some thing this simple right. they have improved the manual trans in the ZR1 it is a well built tremec 6060 and it has some improvements over the 6060 in the 08 Z06 like closer ratio gears better shift forks and better cooling of the input cluster. but they still have plastic pads on the shift forks. thats all i have to say right now im tired of typing.

You bring up the vette and the gtr... come on bro, get back to reality and realize you probably will never own either one.

You have quite the audacity to say that to me. You don't know me in the least bit, and your ignorance is making you look bad my friend.

Back