3rd gear grind 98 JDM itr tranny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dvs_prelude

Last night, I let my girlfriend drive my car cuz she was sober and well... I wasn't. While we were on the freeway, she shifted from 5th to 3rd going about 90mph a couple times, and now the gear is grinding. It only grinds a little at high rpm shifts and not when I'm driving normal. I've been told it could have something to do with the clutch and not the tranny itself, perhaps when she was downshifting, she burned the clutch out or something. It only does this in 3rd so I don't think it's the synchros, then again I could be wrong. If it is, how much does that usually cost to fix?
HELP!

3rd gear synchro is fucked

this is why you match RPMs before downshifting... ESPECIALLY if you are trying to jump 2 gears (you really shouldnt do this anyway ... but oh well)

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jan 28 2004, 11:57 AM

this is why you match RPMs before downshifting... ESPECIALLY if you are trying to jump 2 gears (you really shouldnt do this anyway ... but oh well)

that and, doesn't the ITR tranny top out at around 85 in third? Keep doing that and say bu bye to your engine.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jan 28 2004, 10:59 AM-->
@Jan 28 2004, 11:57 AM

that and, doesn't the ITR tranny top out at around 85 in third? Keep doing that and say bu bye to your engine.

Yeah... I shouldn't have put myself in a situation like that where someone else had to drive my car. She thought she was being cool :angry:

On another note, the JDM itr tranny tops out at about 95mph on the dyno at 9000rpm on my v-afc. Just to clarify.

thanks guys

how hard are tranny synchro's to change? has anyone done a synchro job before? approximately how much are they?

PM eyesonlybob, he changed the syncrhos in his tranny. said it wasn't too difficult, but he had to buy a press to get the syncrhos on.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jan 28 2004, 10:59 AM-->

in my car third gear tops out a little above 90 at around 8600

Originally posted by red95solsi+Jan 28 2004, 09:43 PM-->
Originally posted by asmallsol@Jan 28 2004, 10:59 AM
E_SolSi

doesnt change the fact that the engine was surging about 4000 RPMs when she was doing that

thats not good for the engine or the tranny

the tranny is fucked (the synchros at least)

luckily the engine is ok

next time she tries to be "cool" smack the shit out of her :slap:

if the synchros in my tranny werent already fucked - they would be by now.

sabrina burned thru the clutch in her 240sx in just under 10k miles.

when it comes time for turbo, ill have to replace the syncros and clutch as well. (140k miles original clutch!!)

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Jan 29 2004, 12:20 AM-->
Originally posted by red95solsi@Jan 28 2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by asmallsol@Jan 28 2004, 10:59 AM
E_SolSi

doesnt change the fact that the engine was surging about 4000 RPMs when she was doing that

thats not good for the engine or the tranny

the tranny is fucked (the synchros at least)

luckily the engine is ok

next time she tries to be "cool" smack the shit out of her :slap:

:lol: :lol: that's true... she didn't try to match the rpm at all.... definately the last time anyone else ever drives my car. <_<

Just my luck, yesterday my timing belt took a shit on me as I was getting off the freeway. :(

:(

damn... shitty week

Back