3rd gear grind on and off

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicdx92

ok so my 3rd gear has a grind above 4500 rpms and it is probably the syncros that r shot, but how abou after 2 months almost of that happening, 3rd gear shifts just fine with no problems? i was going to buy some synchro mesh fluid and now my car shifts fine so i dont know what the hell is the problem...any help appreciated.

i have the same problem with my rex. I was told to either get another tranny or fix 3rd gear. But i have to ask, what is syncro mesh fluid and how does it work? I might try that before i spent all that money.

mine does that two in 3rd, it doesnt it if i just put it in gear without thinking, but if i carefully , then its doesnt, but it doestn really grind, just like a little grind,

taco15 syncro mesh fluid is a product made to neutralize that tiny grind in ur tranny. i personally havent used it but alot of people swear by it so i think im gonna give it a shot to see what happens

Originally posted by civicdx92@Feb 25 2005, 02:13 AM
taco15 syncro mesh fluid is a product made to neutralize that tiny grind in ur tranny. i personally havent used it but alot of people swear by it so i think im gonna give it a shot to see what happens
[post=465968]Quoted post[/post]​

let me know how it feels . I usually just skip 3 and go straight 4th but it sucks when you want to punch it. Also does that mean that i have to change the tranny fluid more often? I mean everytime it grinds im sure some shavings come loose..right? I'll admit, im not the smartest when i come to DOHC VTEC since this is my first one. also first time having this grinding problem also.

mine did the same thing , i bought the penzoil syncro mesh and it lessened the noise.....the GM brand is the best.....but its def the syncros....hondas are known for syncro noise

i dont know what syncros are needed for a S1 b16 cable tranny...or where to get them.......i think 99-00 b16/SIR syncros will work....i already know about gear speed..... but any others??????

lol its just a pain in the ass cuase ur riping threw the gear and then u gotta shift and back off slowly switch it then rape it again lol

so the mesh fluid helps prolong the life right? if so the shit,i'd better hit autozone asap.

Using the fluid will not fix the problem, it just lets your drive around longer with it. Honda MTF has helped me with this problem in the past. I got about 2 years out of the tranny in my civic until it didn't want to stay in gear anymore.

well yeah i know it wont fix the problem. but my tranny is pretty expensive and want that bish to last. is that fluid an additive? how much do you put in the b16 tranny? thats about all the questions i have.

i believe it should be mixed with ur tranny fluid. in my 92 teg that requires the removal of my passenger side wheel and taking a bolt out that exposes the oil...i should get this done soon. i noticed on cold tranny fluid it does ok but when it starts flowin it sucks.

thats about the same for my b16 tranny. I'm doing that as soon as i get some money.

My tranny is starting to grind when I put it in 3rd gear. When I first start it in the morning while it is still cold and bring it to 4000 rpms and shift into 3rd it doesnt grind, BUT once it gets warmed up and I bring it to 4000 rpms and put it into 3rd it will grind slightly. This really annoys me, I just spent over $3000 to have this motor installed and only had it like 4 months and the syncros are already going out?? It doesnt do it when I am driving normal speeds and taking it easy, only when I race it. Man this sucks!

No need for discussion just get some GM Synchromesh and put that shit in... it'll take about 100 or so miles for it to into the trans, but when it does you'll be happy.

Thanks! Man you guys are so cool and you answer questions quickly and correctly, unlike other honda forums that I have been to before that when you ask a question that have some smartass remark. (Hondahookup)

Originally posted by brian11to1@Apr 15 2005, 09:57 AM
No need for discussion just get some GM Synchromesh and put that shit in... it'll take about 100 or so miles for it to into the trans, but when it does you'll be happy.
[post=487446]Quoted post[/post]​

Alright last question.............How many quarts do I need? I think its an S1 tranny. I hit 5000 rpm around 80 mph lol.

Back