6 puck clutch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffsciv23

i have an ACT clutch w/ organic street disk and was thinking about changing to a 6 puck. do you think that would be too harsh for a daily driver?

it's going into a 99 civic d16y8 boosted at 12psi

thanks

depending on what pressure plate you have, the clutch in your car has a torque capacity between 223 - 270 ft/lbs.

ACT does not offer sprung pucked clutches as far as i know... non-sprung pucked clutches have very harsh engagement... this tends to put a lot of stress on the tranny in a daily driving senario
D series trannys are not exactly known for their strength anyway.... i can see that clutch blowing out a tranny on you every 10K or less

the springs in clutches have nothing to do with how they engage.....they are there for some kind of vibration purpose......harsh engagement has to do with the pressure plate springs and the type of disk you run.

Springs do have something to do with how they engage, everything. They are like little shock absorbers. D-series case bearings go out pretty regularly. I have rebuilt mine in my 98 twice. That clutch will beat those bearings up again and again. A clutch this aggressive is unnecessary, not intended for street driving, and more expensive. The one you have chould be more than enough.

doesnt have anything to do with engagement(very minimal).....they are there to absorb the intial shock from the crank so they wont transmit to the gears. A clutch will engage with or without them, they are there to prolong gears in tranny. clutch harshness is dictated by the Pressure plate and Disk.

Originally posted by RSBAD454@Apr 14 2004, 11:31 AM
doesnt have anything to do with engagement(very minimal).....they are there to absorb the intial shock from the crank so they wont transmit to the gears. A clutch will engage with or without them, they are there to prolong gears in tranny. clutch harshness is dictated by the Pressure plate and Disk.

That's what I just said, all the way to the last sentence. You can regulate pressure plate slamming by easing into the clutch to a degree, once it actually grabs the jolt is taken out by the springs like we both just said. Call any clutch company. I talked to the guys from Excedy and ACT while out at SEMA this year. I'm pretty sure I am going to believe them on their products.

Material of the clutch itself will dictate much of the aggression of engagement, but driving a sprung and unsprung clutch will be the proof in the pudding. Unsprung is just the part that slams the car, period.

Originally posted by cws13+Apr 14 2004, 11:40 AM-->
@Apr 14 2004, 11:31 AM

That's what I just said, all the way to the last sentence. You can regulate pressure plate slamming by easing into the clutch to a degree, once it actually grabs the jolt is taken out by the springs like we both just said. Call any clutch company. I talked to the guys from Excedy and ACT while out at SEMA this year. I'm pretty sure I am going to believe them on their products.

Material of the clutch itself will dictate much of the aggression of engagement, but driving a sprung and unsprung clutch will be the proof in the pudding. Unsprung is just the part that slams the car, period.

i concur...............

Back