64 bit Windows, wanting opinions...

Windows 64 bit

• Don't waste the time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get rid of evil and move 100% to Li

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Ok, since the release of Window$ XP Pro 64bit, you can DL free it as a trial from Micro$0ft. So I did, as free and Micr0$oft is like seeing the fuckin' yeti. Now, I have tried 64 bit Linux Fedora Core 4, and it seemed slower than the i386 FC4 which I am currently dual booting to.

Now here's the issue, if I install the win, I lose access to my Linux HD, as the boot loader is installed on the master boot record of the window partition. This isn't a huge deal as it only takes about a day to get Linux up and configured again.

My question, think it would be worth the time to try it out, or does anyone have any reports contrary to the ones I have so far that it is pretty good and doesn't have any problems running 32bit+ programs? I can't think of anything I run that is 16 bit or less, any ideas?

There is a massive lack of 64 bit drivers for XP64. You *CANNOT* use 32 bit drivers with it, so do your research.

Personally, screw Win64... Linux rules the 64 bit Intel/AMD world. My buddy just fired up Gentoo on his Turion laptop and it absolutely SCREAMS. He also runs it on his Athlon64 desktop.

Either way, the 64 bit x86 world is mostly uncharted territory, however Linux is way ahead of the game versus Microsoft.

EDIT: I assume from our PMs that you did in fact get a compiler installed. Three little words:

RECOMPILE YOUR KERNEL.

You'll be amazed at the performance you can get just by doing that. It'll confuse the hell out of you at first, but you'll start flying through kernel configs without a hitch.

As always, got questions? PM me. B)

Sabz- My MoBo DVD comes with 64bit drivers, so all my onboard stuff will work, and my graphics card is now supported too :) Camera should still be plug and play through the USB, the only thing I can see that isn't supported would maybe be my printer, but that could be play and play to, it just wasn't on the list as having a supported driver.

As far as recompiling the kernel...:ph34r: I had a space in my yum.conf and I couldn't download Xine adn couldn't figure out why, posted it, and someone spotted it. Do you know of any step by steps on recomiling that a Linux newb could actually follow? I am just worried about bugs I can't fix.

B--I know I don't need it, but hell, why not? Other than games, which are 32 bit coded anyway and don't run much better if at all (except Riddick, which is actually coded to maximize 64 bit, but I [play it on xbox]), I really have no need for it, I would just like to see if it is faster as far as open programs, video editing, and running process's, I sometimes have a lot going on, and shit starts to lag.

Oh Sabz, I did get GCC 4 in, BUT, the program I needed it for to compile isn't compatible with it :( I needed GCC 2.9 or something like that.

Looks like I might not have to install it on my system to test it. I found a virtual desktop program that works pretty damn well, Vmware. Here it is running Suse 9.2 under Windows....

gallery_630_324_118842.jpg

I thought it would be glitchy, but it is pretty much like being booted into another HD. SO I guess I can try it with the W!n64.

Damn..Vmware is a 32 bit host, so it can't run 64 bit OS :( Oh well.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 21 2005, 09:31 PM
IMO, whats the point? I can't think of one common application that needs a 64-bit cpu
[post=515043]Quoted post[/post]​

Unreal Tournament. :D

Update...
Photoshop
DivX
Avast antivirus
SpeedFan
CPUz
Marcomedia programs

are all running fine. Maybe it's my imagination, but this box screams. Installing HL2 now, so we'll see if that has any issues, but I don't thin it will at all. Granted, I haven't been to Windows since I got FC4 working again :p but it seems very stable, and I haven't had a glitch yet.

edit: Damn, this shit flies.

son of a bitch, you're making me want to upgrade...

I don't need to spend any more money!!! :cry: you bastard!

That's what I'm talking about! I'm running an Athlon XP (overlocked) still... I don't want to spend the money to upgrade because I'd want to get entire new internals... mobo, proc, graphics card... it would end up being over a grand.

Back