70mph In 2ng Gear!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
hey guys well for a while my speedometer cable was broken, and i finally got it fixed today so i could see how fast my car ACTUALLY was, i got the car recently and i never knew EXACTLY how fast i was goin. so i hop onto route 40 and slammed in itno 2nd. im watching the tach to make sure i dont go over redline (8200) and i glance over at the speedo and i was goin 70 mph, and i hadnt even redlined yet, i was close tho. jus thought id share that with you all, for you guys with the swaps, do you have similar speeds?

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Feb 6 2003, 05:39 PM
hey guys well for a while my speedometer cable was broken, and i finally got it fixed today so i could see how fast my car ACTUALLY was, i got the car recently and i never knew EXACTLY how fast i was goin. so i hop onto route 40 and slammed in itno 2nd. im watching the tach to make sure i dont go over redline (8200) and i glance over at the speedo and i was goin 70 mph, and i hadnt even redlined yet, i was close tho. jus thought id share that with you all, for you guys with the swaps, do you have similar speeds?

... In my auto z6 I'm punching 65ish before it goes into 3rd...

Thats pretty normal I think.

what size tires do you have?

what transmission are you using?

this is the only way to tell how fast you're car is capable of going.

you're speedo if most likely off. With the transmission that comes with the B16a, stock size tires (185/60-14)... going 8200rpm in second gear... the speedo should read 63mph. I believe the speedo gives its reading according to the rpm and gear. If you get bigger sized tires the speedo doesn't account for that.

http://crx.honda-perf.org/math/index.html

im using the B18C1 engine with the YS1 tranny from a 92-93 GSR all in a 91 CRX. and right now i have 17"s but the overall circumference is the same (about). size is 205/40/zr17. but im pretty sure the speedo isnt off, i jus had it replaced today.

If that tranny gets up to 70mph in second, it's not a gsr tranny...it's an Ls...I should know , I have the same ys1 also.

i dunno, ill try again tomorrow and pace my friend to make sure my speedo isnt off, but this engine accelerates extremely fast for an ls if its the ls tranny, either way, im extremely happy with it. i was surprised at how fast it was, with my si engine i could only get up to like 40 in 2nd

having a certain .. velocity .. in a gear, has nothing to do with how fast you get to that speed (Acceleration)

It takes me HOURS to hit ~65 mph in 2nd gear in my Civic (which I shuddered when I tried it)... but that doesn't mean my car is faster than a car that has been geared to have 2nd only push to 63 mph.

It's all about that acceleration.

Originally posted by gupta_p@Feb 6 2003, 09:47 PM
having a certain .. velocity .. in a gear, has nothing to do with how fast you get to that speed (Acceleration)

It takes me HOURS to hit ~65 mph in 2nd gear in my Civic (which I shuddered when I tried it)... but that doesn't mean my car is faster than a car that has been geared to have 2nd only push to 63 mph.

It's all about that acceleration.

i know that, i was just saying that the acceleration was pretty fast for being an ls tranny, if it is one. sice the ls tranny has longer gears than the GSR tranny, the one with the gsr tranny will accelerate faster. i know that is has nuthin to do with how fast you can go in a particular gear.

in my sleeper (91 civic zc with a zc automatic tranny)

its pulled out of second at 70 screaming and third at 100 ....never had the balls or the time for forth

but why wouldnt a b16a make it to atleast 65 in second gear?

i thought those trannies were gear higher to make full use of the powerband?

see our articles section, page 4, net mph chart.

plug in your gear box, and your tire ize, and figure out your ture gearing

i can go a little beyond 60 in 2nd with my D15 and stock tranny. i can take 3rd all the way to 90 and 4th to 105...so its not too surprising to be able to get to 70 in second. my redline is only 6800rpm (i know, sucky gearing).

i swapped a 92 b18 in a 91 hatch stock everything in third shifting to 4 tack out around 82 m.p.h
thats with 195 60 14

Yea as b said. Look at the net mph chart. I found that mine is 4 mph off. (in daily driving, i shift at 40 @ 3000 rpm but but according to the cart, i should be going at 36.)

Originally posted by asmallsol@Feb 7 2003, 06:25 AM
i shift at 40 @ 3000 rpm but but according to the cart, i should be going at 36.)

damn, you shift at 3,000 rpm? i feel like my car would barely move if i was shifting there, hehe... i shift at around 5,000 rpm for daily driving

Hmm...... Well since my speedo doesn't work ( I was too lazy to plug it back in after the swap) I'm pretty sure i'm doin' about 0mph in 1st, 0mph in 2nd, and pretty much 0 all the way through 5th.

I know, i'm a sarcastic jackass bastard.

Back