89 Civic LX Engine Swap (Any recommendations?)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

StaindFaith

I recently purchased an 89 Civic Lx with what would appear to be a 1.5L engine (D15B2 I believe). It's treated me well over the time I've spent with it, but the stock 92 horse that it had just isn't are thrilling as it once was.
Basically, I'm asking for recommendations on a full engine and tranny swap. I also heard something about an underdrive pulley system?
Also, I refuse to drive an automatic transmission (I love my standard, there's just something infinitely more fun about being able to slide into neutral and rev for the ladies (I might be a taken man, but I can always make them jealous ^_^))
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I was planning on purchasing the new engine and tranny, keeping it up on a hoist for a month or two and redoing all the internals (pistons/rods, cams, valves, etc) to handle a stage 3 turbo and a shot of NOS (I realize that by the end of this, my car will probably kill me, but anythign worth doing...is worth doing right, right?)
Money isn't entirely an object, I'm starting an instrumentation apprentiship in about two months and I'll be pulling in about $4000 a month (No bills or anything, I live with friends and more or less clean their house and such instead or paying rent).
So basically, I'm looking for something with good power, that'll fit in my tiny little car, that I can buff up a bunch more.

Then there's my tech issue:
I was monkeying around with the trim on the distributor, and set it too far forward, and whenever I put my foot to the floor in first, it would kinda do a massive shudder (not a bunch of small ones like when you stall out, but a huge version of one of those small ones). At first I thought I'd maybe screwed somethign valuable, but then I set the trim back a bit and it worked nice.
Recently however, it's been doing it again. One of my friends suggested maybe my throttle cable was sticking, but I'm not sure how a guy would get at it to fix it.

Last edited:
I recently purchased an 89 Civic Lx with what would appear to be a 1.5L engine (D15B2 I believe). It's treated me well over the time I've spent with it, but the stock 92 horse that it had just isn't are thrilling as it once was.
Basically, I'm asking for recommendations on a full engine and tranny swap. I also heard something about an underdrive pulley system?
Also, I refuse to drive an automatic transmission (I love my standard, there's just something infinitely more fun about being able to slide into neutral and rev for the ladies (I might be a taken man, but I can always make them jealous ^_^))
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I was planning on purchasing the new engine and tranny, keeping it up on a hoist for a month or two and redoing all the internals (pistons/rods, cams, valves, etc) to handle a stage 3 turbo and a shot of NOS (I realize that by the end of this, my car will probably kill me, but anythign worth doing...is worth doing right, right?)
Money isn't entirely an object, I'm starting an instrumentation apprentiship in about two months and I'll be pulling in about $4000 a month (No bills or anything, I live with friends and more or less clean their house and such instead or paying rent).
So basically, I'm looking for something with good power, that'll fit in my tiny little car, that I can buff up a bunch more.

Then there's my tech issue:
I was monkeying around with the trim on the distributor, and set it too far forward, and whenever I put my foot to the floor in first, it would kinda do a massive shudder (not a bunch of small ones like when you stall out, but a huge version of one of those small ones). At first I thought I'd maybe screwed somethign valuable, but then I set the trim back a bit and it worked nice.
Recently however, it's been doing it again. One of my friends suggested maybe my throttle cable was sticking, but I'm not sure how a guy would get at it to fix it.
ok for the motorswap..you can get a cheap ls(b18a1 for fairly cheap,you will need to convert the car from dpfi-mpfi-you will need the mount kit,axles,shiftlinkage,and some other various things,what is your power goal,we dont want to hear stage 3 turbo and nos,,we want what kind of hp you want to make,so here goes
mounts(ebay,hasport,avid,place racing)
shift linkage(ebay,hasport)
axles(junkyard,ebay-you need the 90-93 integra intermediate shaft and axles)
Wiring(rywire has everything you will need)and the dpfi-mpfi writeup is in the archives...
as for the shuddering problem,the ignition timing is off,make sure you tighten the bolt really good,when you adjust it,,

In the horsepower department, as much as I can get. Like I said, money isn't exactly an object.
I had been wondering abotu the axle, I kinda figured the stock wouldn't be capable of handling to much more power.
Anything else I should be considering?
And what about the underdrive pulley system?

In the horsepower department, as much as I can get. Like I said, money isn't exactly an object.
I had been wondering abotu the axle, I kinda figured the stock wouldn't be capable of handling to much more power.
Anything else I should be considering?
And what about the underdrive pulley system?
fuck underdrive pulleys,,if your rlly worried about it,dont run power stearing or ac...and do not get the underdrive crank pulley,they are not balanced and will cause your crank to be demolished

Yeah, I just read into that. I already took the p/s pulley and belt off, I was planning on waiting till I do the swap to completely remove the p/s system and lighten the car a bit.
What about the K20? I've heard bad and good thins about them...
One of the guys I talked to had said somethin about the B18C.... I was wondering what kinds of mods would need to be done to drop one in. I was also told there're a few that can be done without any part switching, but I'm feeling that that might not be such a good idea, I mean, how much power can the stock parts handle anyway, right?
And regardless of what I drop in there, what other mods to the engine (whichever I choose), could be done to get a little extra zoom-zoom?
I was planning to upgrade what I could on the new engine before I dropped it in, new pistons, etc. And I feel slightly overwhelmed.
I mean, I have most of the equipment for the engine swap and a total tear apart and rebuild of an engine (save for the equipment for machining headgaskets and boring cylinders, but I planned on leaving that to more experienced people anyways), and I'd like to get it done before I drop it in, even if it means having it sit on the hoist for a month or three while it gets done.
I'm more or less trying to sort out what to do, and how to do it, out in my head for when I get this project going.

who ever said anything bad about a k20 motor is telling you lies,..but get ready to drop 8 grand just to get it in the car and going

who ever said anything bad about a k20 motor is telling you lies,..but get ready to drop 8 grand just to get it in the car and going
We, that's why I'm here right? Sort out the shiet from the truth, get a good idea of where I'm going with this.
And like I said, money isn't an object. I got spanked by a toyota soarer about 20 minutes ago (it was close because traffic held him back and I'm pretty good at weaseling my way throught hose narrow gaps) and I'd like to never have to deal with that shame again. Sure, A little engine liek mine couldn't hope to keep up with a 1JZ on a good day, but I want to make my little baby the best it can be.
I realize It'll mean dropping insane amounts of coin, but hey, that's life, right? and you can't put a price on the looks you get when a little old beat up looking civic spanks a new charger.
So you say k20, eh?
What kinda other parts am I lookiing at swapping for this deal?
And my previous question remains: what mroe can be done?

well, your gona need motor mounts shifter and linkages new gas lines new radiator, axles, hydro tranny lines,kpro ecu, custom wiring. custom header, and that should get you going down the road and about 225whp to the ground

stupid double post (I'm wardriving my neighbous WLAN right now, their router doesn't like me, and I don't like it)

Any possibility you could give me a list of places to find such pieces?
I don't have the stock rad (switched it for one out of an accord a while back, though I've been looking into something more...aftermarket (looks and performance are a bit better, the accord one's pretty old and doesn't exactly....sit still... >_<)
Also, how sure are you that the K20'll drop in?
Whenever I look at charts and such there's never much mention of it....
And which K20a? the A? A2? A3?

Last edited:
k20a or k20z1 or k20a2, in that order is what i would pick but try the search button there was a full thread on this just the other day

(I keep double posting...uber-cr@ppy connection >_<)
So...The K20a....sounds pretty reasonable...what kind of axles and intermediate shaft should I be looking for?
Would it be simplest to get the full tranny and engine together?
If so, what kind of shift linkage am I lookin at?
Is the wiring gonna be completely custom? Or do companies like Hasport have something available?

Last edited:
if you want to spend less than 4 grand go with a b16a swap. that motor will be the easiest to swap into your car. You WILL be very pleased with that motor 4sho.

h22a motor is a nice motor. more displacement. more power and torque than b16 pretty cheap to buy. more mod's than a b16a to get the motor in the car. should be under 4grand too.

b18c1 or c5(if you got $) (integra gsr motor)
my personal favorite, very durable motor and powerfull. this would be my best choice if you got 6 grand to spend.

either way you go, its a bigggggggg difference going up to a performance motor.

hope this helps

Last edited:
if you want to spend less than 4 grand go with a b16a swap. that motor will be the easiest to swap into your car. You WILL be very pleased with that motor 4sho.

h22a motor is a nice motor. more displacement. more power and torque than b16 pretty cheap to buy. more mod's than a b16a to get the motor in the car. should be under 4grand too.

b18c5 (integra gsr motor)
my personal favorite, very durable motor and powerfull. this would be my best choice if you got 6 grand to spend.

and also you can go with the b16a, spend 2 grand on a performance rebuild kit bore it .040 over and have a nice chunk of power.

hope this helps

Read the whole thread noob. He says he makes $4000 a month and that money isn't an issue my fucking god.

A b16a isn't that great of a motor unless you boost it...
Why would you waste money on a b18c5? That's just stupid. Buy a b18c1, if you want boost it.
But if you have the money go K series.

Last edited:
yes if you have the money go h22 or k20,
but if your tryingto front and money does have a limit,then do a boosted ls,totally build the bottom end,do all the headwork,and get a great tune,,itwill be a quick reliable engine ifmaintaned

yes if you have the money go h22 or k20,
but if your tryingto front and money does have a limit,then do a boosted ls,totally build the bottom end,do all the headwork,and get a great tune,,itwill be a quick reliable engine ifmaintaned

I'll second that.

Yea a boosted ls is the best way to go if you're on a tight budget. But since you're not go k20.

b18c5 (integra gsr motor)

and also you can go with the b16a, spend 2 grand on a performance rebuild kit bore it .040 over and have a nice chunk of power.

hope this helps

Before I get to the original posters questions and comment on them..... I have to clear this up.

b16Stalyun,

First your an extreme noob, you don't know what you are talking about and you are spreading misinformation. And I'll correct it for everyone.

Yes, the b16 can be had for MUCH less than 4g's. It is a very easy swap also. Is he going to be happy? probably not.

h22a is also a good motor and does require a lot more work than a B series motor to get in his car. FWIW...it's not worth putting in his car with all the other options he has.

A b18c5 is a Type R motor, not a GSR. A GSR motor is a B18c1. A GSR motor shouldn't cost anywhere near 6k to put in his car either.

Why would you bore a b16 .040 over? No, don't answer, cause you don't do that, you buy a GSR or build an LSVtec.

Back to topic, For some reason I don't think you have such a high budget, so I'd recommend a GSR turbo or LS turbo.

if you do have that much money coming in a moth

i would sell the car and get an evo or M

dont waste all this money on a 20 year old car

It nots about the age of the car to me, and yes, I do have enough omney coming in a month. I'm also a pretty patient guy when it comes to saving in the event I fall short.
Sure, the car's 20 years old, but imho, that's more of a reason to love it. It's also got the benefit of people not expecting an ass kicking. It's an underdog, and I love it for that reason.
In the long run, yeah, I'll be getting a day-to-day car, but this is my baby. The vehicle I'll one day pass down to my son on his 16th.... (If I trust him that much).
Anyways, I digress.
K20,
What all am I going to be needing to change (axles, etc) and where can I find them?

*Edit*
I've decided I'm going to throw the $5500 + shipping into getting the K20 through a JDM importer in Montreal (I live in Alberta).
They sell it as a package with:
K20A type R Engine
OBD2 Wiring harness
Downpipe
Fuel Rail
Sensor
Power steering pump (Don't think I'll be needing that)
alternator
Throttlebody
ECU
6 speed LSD Transmission
Exhaust manifold
Intake manifold
Injectors
Starter
A/C compressor (Once again, don't think I'll ned it)
Half shaft/Intermediate Shaft
and Engine and Transmission mounts.

I might be crazy in my belief that that's all I'll be needing, so I'm asking for a bit of help. Is there anything that hasn't been included that I'll be needing?

Last edited:
Back