90 Civic cold air intake question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DanaMeister

Thanks for reading my post. Any input welcome.
I have a bone stock 90 Civic si. When I bought it it came with a off brand cold air intake that didn't fit worth a crap. Since I also aquired the stock intake I installed it and everything was fine.
Now I live out of town with a long commute so I thought a few mpg improvement would be good and after playing around with the aftermarket intake and building a support bracket I got the intake to clear the battery.
I can tell it helped performance wise but my problem is a part throttle squeal. I know it's the intake and not a belt.
My question is has anyone run into a similar issue? Is it because it is a cheap copy that wasn't designed properly?

If I buy a K&N or other "name brand" will I have the same issue?

Thanks, Dana

just put a K&N drop in filter in the stock air box and remove the resonator tubing
done and done

That sounds great. By resonator tubing do you mean the chamber in the lower fender well that the air box "plugs", into. It mounts on top of it. Should I plug it off or do I need to remove the resonator chamber completely. It looks like it would come out from underneith somehow.

Thanks, Dana

remove it

remove the wheel... pull down the fender well trim then you should have full access to removing the entire resonator assembly

if you want to you can now add a snorkel from the bottom of the air box that drops down into the fender well

Thanks

Thanks,
I'll get the drop in filter and loose the resonator. I'm assuming that the top intake tube is left in place. That will be better than having twettie birds under the hood.

Dana

Back