90 CRX SI Brakes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

allmotord16rex

OK, I put a new alternator on my ZC the other day. To get it out I removed the master cylinder. I removed the brake lines from the master cylinder so I bled the brakes. After I got it back running I noticed a hissing sound from the engine bay. It was where the master cylinder bolts up to the brake booster. It wasnt bolted up tight enough. Well i fixed it and it stopped hissing. When the car is off and i pat the breaks the pedal gradually gets harder to push. This leads me to believe there is not any air in the lines. Whenever the car is running the pedal is really soft. The brakes seem powerful, but the pedal will slowlly travel to the floor. What is the deal? Why does it go all the way to the floor? Any suggestions are appreciated.

when your car is off it feels hard because there is no vaccuum to the booster. if you press it over and over it should get hard as a rock. sounds to me like you still have some air in the lines, or maybe a leak in the MC.

When you disconnect the master cylinder, you need to rebleed the master cylinder before you put it back into your car. Just bleeding the lines isn't enough.

Probably- I've never done one, so I've never bothered to check. Always bleed every component on each side of a hydraulic junction when you disconnect it though.

Thanks Calesta. I just didnt think it was necessary to bleed the master cylinder too. Thanks for the advice I will try that. After I bleed the master cylinder should I also rebleed the entire system.? Also, I thought if there was air in the lines the pedal wouldnt get tight after patting it when the car is off. Thanks for the help.

If you hooked it all back up without any fluid loss, you probably wouldn't have to bleed the master- but it's always a good idea- especially since you removed it from the car. If there is air in the lines, you could still eventually build pressure from repeated compression by pumping the brake pedal- but not always. It depends how much air you have in there, and where it's stuck at.

After you bleed your master cylinder and hook it back up, rebleed all the lines too. That way you'll know for sure that your brake lines are completely purged of air.

Back