91 accord lx 5spd

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gotLX?

i have a 91 accord lx. it runs good as hell. i was wondering what i should do with it.

1. i kind of want build my stock motor and turbo it because it has pretty low compression. i would probably build it as much as it could go. parts are limited for this engine.

2. h22a. i like this engine.

3. a b20 vtec. i was wondering if it was good in accords. i heard they dont last long. but i dont know.

im totally clueless on what to do and was wondering what you guys thought. thanks

i was thinkin that too...im kinda on a budget so maybe i'll just use my LX tranny with a h22a engine and buy a better tranny later.

Go H22A. Turbo later. The F22 gearing is better for turbo anyway. If everything holds together, you'd be very quick.

The H22A would be cheaper than an F22 Build anyway. High compression is not bad for boost, just a little harder to tune. You'd run less PSI of boost, but maintain more low end power. Read the STATIC COMPRESSION article to learn more. It is in the Forced Induction forum.

B series, not feasible. Even if it worked, it would be too damned expensive.

Edit: Here's the link.
Static vs. Effective Compression

Originally posted by gotLX?@Mar 22 2004, 01:59 PM
i was thinkin that too...im kinda on a budget so maybe i'll just use my LX tranny with a h22a engine and buy a better tranny later.

Don't use your stock LX tranny. You want to use the H22A tranny as the gearing is better for the H22A. Plus you want to try to get the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) with the motor because it will cost you about $500 to $800 more for the LSD tranny when you buy the engine but later it will cost more money and labor to put in after the engine is already installed. If you're on a tight budget then just save a bit longer. Get another part time job for awhile, eat top ramen, watch TV instead of going to the movies for awhile. Whatever it takes! ;)

I spin like the wind in my H22A Accord on launches since I don't have an LSD tranny. 200HP on 1 wheel isn't as good as 2 wheels getting power on launch believe me!

Bruce

im doing all the labor myself....so right there im saving a bunch...but i still like the idea of the turbo h22 with a f22 tranny....

Originally posted by gotLX?@Mar 25 2004, 11:30 AM
...i still like the idea of the turbo h22 with a f22 tranny....

Just curious why do you like that idea of a F series tranny?

An H22A LSD 5 speed tranny will give you the gear ratio you want for racing.

BTW: I never had to leave 3rd gear in my qtr mile test and I hit 94 MPH then 100 when I went past the line. With a built motor and then turbo I might get into 4th gear before the end of a qtr mile test and then I still would have 5th gear if I really needed it and made crazy power.

I don't have the gear ratios handy right now but the f series tranny is geared more for cruising rather than racing. Just what I have heard and from what I have experienced with my 95 Accord H22A and H22A tranny.

Bruce

F22 gearing is better for turbo. H22 tranny is beter for NA. LSD is always preferrable.

FI cars like the longer gears, so I've been told many many times.

Back