94 hatch w b18 ls vtec issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The JDM P30 is worth a try. Leave the B16 intake manifold

Is the GSR Intake Manifold OBD1?? (if so use those injectors) Throttle Body OBD1??

If the GSR IM is OBD1....I suggest you do what I wrote about a few posts ago (Injectors, TB, JDM ECU and 16 degrees stock timing)

Plus you should; take the IACV off and see if its dirty....it takes ten minutes

stock dizzy back in (I have it set straight up right now.) and car starts on first touch of the key . It still does not idle smooth, but at least it is close to 850-900 rpm (tach no longer works :huh: ). Tonight i am going to put the p30 in it and take it for a ride, and i will report back later. The IACV is clean, and i have a spare on i may swap in just for kicks.

the gsr manifold is on hold right now, since i got the b16 obd 1 with all sensors. tomorrow i will check the timing belt and reset the timing if need be. thanks for all the help.

jon

^^^^^^^^^

i said it doesnt idle smooth, but i expect that out of a large camshaf, hit post too soon. lol

Yeah....those camshafts are Stage 2 so they'll be aggressive. Do you have adj cam gears too?

Did you make sure you jumped the service plug before you changed the timing? If not....its back to where it once was. Best to use a timing gun while you adjust and after you take the jumper wire out.

what do you mean jump the service plug? and what wire is the tach signal both at the distributor, and the ecm?

jon

I am not sure on the tach but I think it only goes from the dizzy to the tach.

You have a service plug under the dash/glove box (by the kick panel) There is technically two of them but the smaller one is the service plug you need to jump with a wire or paper clip (connect one side to the other). You need to jump it so the computer gets fooled and actually lets you adjust the timing. Otherwise, the ECU will just re-set the old timing setting after you turn the car off. This is how guys run out of sliding room on the dizzy.....b/c thy don't jump the service plug.
Get car to running temp
Jump the service plug (CEL comes on)
Loosen the 3 dizzy bolts
Obviously use a timing gun (digitial is best).
Turn dizzy to desired setting....idle up is advanced...idle down is retarding. (14-18 is OEM spec)
Tighten dizzy back down
Take jumper out of service plug.
Turn off/on engine and check timing again.

Back