95 d16z6 into 93eg 4 door won't rev but.....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Top of TB hose goes to charcoal canister too

I fear that you might be looking in the wrong spots (vacuum hoses and such that were and still are attached before). The motor ran fine before so I think we should think about what you did to change that.

I think you said that you pull the motor (out of the wrecked car) with the same engine harness that was on it?

Your 4dr had the harnesses from the shock towers to the cabin transplanted from the EX?

Dumb question but do you have a check engine light? (you wouldn't believe how many guys wonder whats wrong with a CEL staring at them)

Not too clear on the transmission situation. You converted the car over or are you trying to run the 5spd ECU on the old auto transmission?

Last edited:
I converted to a 5speed while I was at it. Where it was wrecked I had a TPS code because it got smashed and an o2 sensor code same reason. Replaced the 3hrottlebody off of a running 95 z6 and no codes. I have sprayed ether around the engine(while cold of course) and I couldn't find any intake leaks. No knocks in the engine or even ticks or pecks. It's really smooth and fires instantly. The floorboard harness in the 4door didn't come out of the wrecked one but it is the exact same harness. Hilltop honda in johnson city tn pulled it for me and I set down and compared wire to wire to make sure it's the same. I wish I could explain what it is doing better because it's not like a rev limiter @ 3k when the throttle plate opens it falls on it's face but rarely dies even if you hold it open. The sound is like "blaaaahhh" and if you let off it idles perfect again. I have changed plugs, dist cap, rotor button, oil&filter, and put an accel power coil on it(have tried the oem) all before I ever fired it up. Habit. Someone suggested a ground in the FB harness so the dash is still out but all are hooked up. I'm worried it's a relay I haven't got plugged up. But I've ckdevery fuse.

Top of TB hose goes to charcoal canister too

I fear that you might be looking in the wrong spots (vacuum hoses and such that were and still are attached before). The motor ran fine before so I think we should think about what you did to change that.

I think you said that you pull the motor (out of the wrecked car) with the same engine harness that was on it?

Your 4dr had the harnesses from the shock towers to the cabin transplanted from the EX?

Dumb question but do you have a check engine light? (you wouldn't believe how many guys wonder whats wrong with a CEL staring at them)

Not too clear on the transmission situation. You converted the car over or are you trying to run the 5spd ECU on the old auto transmission?

Vacuum hoses was just a thought when my brother first got his car and had to take the motor out to fix a half ass job someone did with the motor mounts, well when he put it back in it did the same thing.. It wouldn't rev past 3-4 grand. Turned out to be a couple vacuum hoses ran wrong...

what would cause my fuel pressure to be 80psi? I've took off the adj regulator and tried oem regulators but nothing will decrease the pressure. I think the problem might be too much fuel. It idles perfect but any gas and it boggs so that's the only thing left that it could be.

probably will so I'll know faster but I have a new header to put on it so I might just hang it and not connect the cat and cross my fingers. I decided to start it and get it warm to melt out any ice that might be in the system so I could drain it and put in antifreeze bc it's down to 12 degrees in TN tonight and the last thing I need is my new rad destroyed or a damn freeze plug on top of the existing problem. I forgot it was idling and after about an hour I went to shut it off and for shits and giggles I guess looked under it and the cat was cherry red. I hope that this solve this gremlin so I can finally put the dash back in for the 3rd time and finish the auto to manual interior conversion. At least that won't take long. I'm gonna take the sawzzall to the cat after the flange and straight pipe it cause in tn I think you just have to have lights and brake lights to be legal. Lol. Oh and a tag. Let ya know tomm afternoon. Thanks for the info and suggestions and I really hope I don't need more!

no change just louder!

I put straightpipe all the way back to a resonator with a baffle. I had it from NOPI about 7 years ago still in the box. Loud as hell but no change. I guess it could only be the distributer then.....or my ecu has went bad!?!? im sick of part hanging. if im gonna kep doing this crap im just gonna b series it. This has to be something really simple though.and i have put hours upon hours into this car. What else is there to try? Fuel pump? I have the ex fuel pump, heck i have the moonroof and the headliner to go with it.

found most of the problem

Got the car to rev sitting still. The distributor was apparanetly bad maybe the CPS or something. I stuck a D15 non vtec on it even though it wouldnt bolt up and it fired and revves great. Took the insides out and transfered it to my dist housing. Now it just has a spot between about 3200 and 4500 that you have to ease through the throttle going down the road to get it any higher but you can at least drive it like a normal person but no hot-rodding yet. Gonna put a led on the vtec sol. and see if it is kicking in and play with the timing. Clean the FITV and see where Im at there I guess

i think you may have some of the plugs switched around on the back of the manifold. they reach multiple spots and fit the same plug. happened to me before. good luck

FITV is not the problem if it idles fine when cold/warm

Check timing (16 degrees +/-2)

"If" you had plugs on the wrong sensors....CEL

getting closer

Tried another z6 dizzy and same thing it will rev to redline sitting still with just a burp. Driving down the road it won't flat out accelllerate and you have to wean the throttle past about 3500 to 5000 rpms. Any Ideas? Still no CEL

Last edited:
gotta figure this out cause ive got a ram horn turbo kit on the way and already have the 550 injectors. It works for a B-series so if all else fails.... Found a 94 ex sedan with blown head gasket for 800 and actually considering getting it so i can side by side part swap.

check you vacuum lines my buddy did the same swap and his car did the exact same thing and we had two vacuum lines switched on the throttle body

I checked all the connection, sensors, and vacuum lines and everything is correct. Just afew minutes ago I took out the top bolt on the fuel filter and trie to put in a fuel pressure gauge but the threading was different. I drove it to the store and when I came out it wouldn't start and it was leaking gas around the filter bolt. I tightened it and it still wouldn't start and it wa still leaking. As for my engine problem I have a P28 manual ecu and even changed the floorboard harness to make it a true ex like the car I totalled and got the engine and trans from. If my ecu was going bbad ( I have heard alot about resisters blowing) would that cause my symptoms? I have a P07 from the original engine/trans that came in the car but of course it is non-vtec and it runs the exact same way. Is there any other ecu's that would run my car corrrectly? I have to figure this crap out. With the floorboard harness and the p28 it should be a true ex and the engine I swapped in ran like a sccalded dog befor I pulled it. I just don't understand and am totally stumped. Im close to buying a 97 integra ls or gs for 3500 or 4500. I hate to give up onthis car but I don't know what else to do. I have about 8000 in stereo equipment in it and I'll hate to take out the touch screnn and head rest monitor and dual caps run in parallel that goes to 2 rockford fosgate everything and one of the amps goes back up to the door speakers. I have a body kit and still have the oem but thats alot of work. I have reverse indiglo gauges and during the excitement tonight my foot pulled the fuse that the gauges were tapped into out but when I put it back, still no gauge lights. I guess I'll hae to look for a fusible link in the morning. If qanyone has aany ideas on whats wrong with my car please let me know. Surely with all the engine swapping, someone has had the same problem.

Back