96-00 civic cx auto

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mikeyg323

With those who own one of these types of civics, what did you do with the Y7 for more power? Did you leave the auto tranny in? How much did all this cost?

I got ~$2,000 and i wanna make my car faster. Or should I just sell it and buy a standard? Thoughts?

manual trans swap FTW

you can probably turbo it and make it manual for 2 grand. a little bit of boost only. but it would be fun and more power gain than regular bolt ons.

With those who own one of these types of civics, what did you do with the Y7 for more power? Did you leave the auto tranny in? How much did all this cost?

I got ~$2,000 and i wanna make my car faster. Or should I just sell it and buy a standard? Thoughts?
i have a dx with the same motor (d16y7) what i did was a mini me swap ( swapped my y7 head for a vtech d16z6 head) skunk2 cam,valves,springs,retainers aem true time cam gear auto to maunal swap fidanza knockoff clutch and flywheel skunk short shifter injen cai spoon 4-2-1 header custom catless dual exhaust megan racing mufflers aem fuel rail bigger injectors koyo radiator i getting ready to put a stroker kit in breather valve 125 shot nx dry nos kit and with all this im runnin 350 to the wheels i did it with about 2500 bucks but its taken me about 5 months with the shopping around all the installation my self you can get a mean car on a budget but it takes time. good luck. p.s. stick with what you have

i have a dx with the same motor (d16y7) what i did was a mini me swap ( swapped my y7 head for a vtech d16z6 head) skunk2 cam,valves,springs,retainers aem true time cam gear auto to maunal swap fidanza knockoff clutch and flywheel skunk short shifter injen cai spoon 4-2-1 header custom catless dual exhaust megan racing mufflers aem fuel rail bigger injectors koyo radiator i getting ready to put a stroker kit in breather valve 125 shot nx dry nos kit and with all this im runnin 350 to the wheels i did it with about 2500 bucks but its taken me about 5 months with the shopping around all the installation my self you can get a mean car on a budget but it takes time. good luck. p.s. stick with what you have

Fucking bullshit. You are not making 350 horses to the wheels on a stock d-series with cams and bolt-ons. And it's VTEC, not "vtech". Also, dual exhaust is gay on a four cylinder engine...you're probably losing power with that, not making it...

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Either post a dyno chart and substantiate your outrageous power claims, or get the fuck out of here...

Last edited:
:withstupid: I'm getting tired of these people coming on the board claiming they're making these ridiculous numbers and know everything there is to know about everything.

Yeah seriously, if you're gonna come on here and make shit up, at least make it seem believable...350 wheel horse on a stock D-series is NOT believable at all...not even a little tiny bit...

lol not at all. i think the post failed at 'vtech'. backpressure anyone?

mikeyg man, i suggest you find a good shop in your area that's experianced with honda's. get an auto to manual swap, short shifter, and get a nice clutch and flywheel. that's going to be approx 1500 including labor. then get a Y8 intake manifold and some sort of intake assembly to replace the factory air box. the kind of intake that uses a cone. like a short ram (sometimes mistakenly called a cold air), or a cold air intake. the short ram is the little one that puts the cone filter up high in the engine bay, visible from the front with the hood open. a cold air intake routes piping down closer to ground level to scoop up the outside air before it gets heated by the engine and such. my suggestion. it's too much over 2k to swap in a (say) B16 or better motor that I think you'd want to.

noob note: some backpressure is GOOD for naturally aspirated [n/a] motors. no backpressure is GOOD for turbo. BAD for n/a.

Fucking bullshit. You are not making 350 horses to the wheels on a stock d-series with cams and bolt-ons. And it's VTEC, not "vtech". Also, dual exhaust is gay on a four cylinder engine...you're probably losing power with that, not making it...

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Either post a dyno chart and substantiate your outrageous power claims, or get the fuck out of here...

:werd:, Im with you

it's too much over 2k to swap in a (say) B16 or better motor that I think you'd want to.

What about the B18B? If I could find one of these engines for cheap, then it would all depend on the labor cost to put one in. Unless there is a step-by-step process for noobs who have never disassembled a motor before somewhere on here. If someone has a link it would be much appreciated. I would attempt the motor swap myself if I had instruction on what to do.

Well, B18B's aren't that much more powerful than your Y7. It's less power than even the B16. But if that doesn't matter to you and you think it's an adaquate power increase than yeah that would be a cheap one to go for.

No step by step guides that I know of. If you've never done this before, than you probably don't own a lot of the tools already (breaker bar, sockets, wrenches, engine lift, timing light, etc).

If it were my Y7, and I only had 2k to work with, I'd look for a shop, get a price quote on labor for a turbo and manual trans swap. Possibly put on a Y8 manifold (flows better). But I guess that depends on your goals. That would be a nice daily driver. I used to have a Y8 in my '00 ex and swapped it for a B16. The power increase was good, but not as good as if I put the money into a lil boost for the Y8. I have future goals that warrent the swap tho. Idk your situation.

Well, B18B's aren't that much more powerful than your Y7. It's less power than even the B16. But if that doesn't matter to you and you think it's an adaquate power increase than yeah that would be a cheap one to go for.

Keep in mind though that the B18B makes more torque than a B16, and it makes it down low whereas you have to rev the piss out of the B16 to make power. It's really not that bad of a choice, especially if boost is in the future plans.

As far as cost though, you're SOL. A B18B swap is probably going to cost you around the same as a B16 swap...

Oh seriously brutal? I shoulda double checked H Motors first. I coulda swore the B18B's were the cheap ones.

..checking...

yeah, it's 2.2 grand. damn.

Ok kill that idea! lol.

I still like my first idea of manual trans swap and a lil boost with possibly a Y8 intake mani if you can afford.

Brutal/others; your take on this?

^ Lmao. Nice F&F quote usage there.

Dual exhaust? For christ's sake, my eyes incinerated after reading that. They were bleeding at 350 at the wheels, and caught on fire at stock d-series.

Fuck, I hate this thread.

Back