96-97 b18c/R headgasket, top end, and manifold questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

silentearth

Hey guys, I've got a 96-97 b18c/R in my 98 civic coupe daily driver and am going to have a new headgasket installed in the next couple weeks. I've got a few questions to ask first.

1) Will I be able to up the compression which is currently 11/1 by getting a thinner gasket? If so, how much? and would it be a worthwhile upgrade from a performance standpoint? (BTW, I have no plans to ever go with a forced induction setup, it's going to remain N/A)

2) While the gasket's getting done I'm considering putting some work into the top end. Any suggestions on what would be worth while for this motor? (there is a slight ticking in the top end but it's not very loud and does not sound like lifters to me) I've also been considering cams but don't know if they would do much for this motor.

3) Lastly, Would it be wise to get myself a performance header? I don't have a cat (O2 sensor is bypassed) and I believe my exhaust manifold let's out at 3.5 inches which is then restricted to a 2.5 inch dynomax exhaust system. I think that inch restriction helps to get rid of some back pressure issues but i'd expect a new header would improve this as well. Also I drive this car alot and it's already loud as hell, would a header make it much worse?

Thank you in advance, Rich.

1. Yes it will bump your compression if you use a thinner gasket but not by much at all in fact it will be a small amount but you can do it if you want.

2. The ticking could mean you need a valve job, cam would be very worth while or you could get a Port and Polish you would see some good results from that.

3. A header would not make it louder at all it will you give you a little bit more high end but that's about it.
Depending on your budget will depend on your header.......you could get a DC for about $250 or you could go as high as $1000 for a Danny Tran header or maybe something in the middle like $500 for a Comptech header.

Good Luck mang and let us know how it goes.

the PnP on an ITR is VERY mild
there is plenty of room for improvement

bump*

My budget is between 2-3k preferably 2k. I'm looking for some specific parts if anyone can give me a hand. I need a headgasket that's tough but thinner then stock (thinner the better really), want cams, want a header though that can wait if it has too, and i want to do the valves and springs.
All help is welcomed guys :mrgreen:

Back