97 Del Sol si...What should I swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jdm Delsol02

I have a 97 Del Sol si, could someone tell me what is the cheapest and best engine i would be satisfied in the end! i am looking at the zc motor and wondering or the b16a sir1 or should i stay with the d16y8 and turbo it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My little Del Sol will Poo Pee on you!

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Dec 31 2002, 02:19 PM
no ZC, and def. no sir I.

sir II b16, or a b18c1

and it has to be an obd2 sirII. Your car is a 97 and you can't put an older engine in the car, has to be same or newer. A b16a2 will work (from 99-00 si) Read the FAQs and articles about obd (on board disnostics (sp?) )

The del Sol is a heavy car so you should look at something with more displacement like the b18's (b18b,c1,c5)

Originally posted by Integra1990@Jan 4 2003, 03:09 PM
LS/T wont let u down, for the lowest price and best power

That is not true what so ever. The LS engine is the cheapest yes, but when you throw turbo in there, now your talking money pit. Go read the thread by Zueke about swap for Del sol or ask brian. B is doing that right know and he said that he has spend close or more than 10k already. Turbo is extremly expensive but the results can be astounding.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jan 4 2003, 03:22 PM-->
Integra1990
@Jan 4 2003, 03:09 PM

That is not true what so ever. The LS engine is the cheapest yes, but when you throw turbo in there, now your talking money pit. Go read the thread by Zueke about swap for Del sol or ask brian. B is doing that right know and he said that he has spend close or more than 10k already. Turbo is extremly expensive but the results can be astounding.

Turbo's can be a decent price. B's setup is so much b/c he is going JG bottom end, 800-1k kook equal lengh manifold, turbonetics turbo (they're 1200 bucks new).. the head he got for a kick ass fucking deal. B's shit is getting expensive b/c he isn't going cheap.. You can not go cheap and still do really well. www.ks-motorsports.com and build your custom turbo kit for 3500-4000. It can be decent price.

by LS/T i didnt mean a 10k set up lik B's. i meant as far as max power gains under a budget a ls/t running low psi , is gonna own a gsr swap, etc.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jan 4 2003, 03:22 PM-->
Integra1990
@Jan 4 2003, 03:09 PM

Money pit? Check out this basic ls/t build list that should get low 13's or high 12's.

prices are typical of used parts, unless noted
Drag manifold-350
turbo -550 new
Mandrel bends from jc whitney for IC piping and downpipe- 150 new
Oil lines and fittings- 75
BOV- 150
wastegate- 200 new
450 cc injectors and resistors- 60
SMC+ - 125 new
Intercooler- 300
MSD btm- 250

Thats about 2300 bucks. There are a lot of people that automatically think turbo=insane amounts of money, but i dont think that is necessarily true. I will be running a similar setup to the one above, just enough to have a quick street car. Every part on B's motor is/will be modified. There is a huge difference between a 10 second car and a 13 second car. The amount of money you spend depends on how fast you want to go.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jan 4 2003, 03:22 PM
Go read the thread by Zueke about swap for Del sol or ask brian.

Gee, thanks asmallsol! I had no idea anyone was still listening to my constant questions :)
an LS/T setup can be quite expensive, but also keep in mind what I have in store for the Sol (if everything goes thru :worthy: ) an 11 sec Sol.....

u can put 10k into any turbo set up on any engine....so saying ls/t is a money pit is not true either, any 11 sec car is gonna be a money pit, but for a fast street car that can beat about 80% of what pulls up to a red light with it... a ls/t is the cheapest way to go.

Originally posted by Integra1990@Jan 4 2003, 06:03 PM
u can put 10k into any turbo set up on any engine....so saying ls/t is a money pit is not true either, any 11 sec car is gonna be a money pit, but for a fast street car that can beat about 80% of what pulls up to a red light with it... a ls/t is the cheapest way to go.

:werd:

:puts tail between his legs: Well yes it can be expensive but it is still cheaper then going out and buying a new that runs hell i'll say 13's just for laughs. I guess it is just that I see it, turbo IS more money then just an engine swap but you get more out of it.

Back