'98 Hatch: LSV?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eb122333

Unmolested hatches are a rarity in my area, but one finally popped up for sale with only 100k miles and I snagged it. It's a factory manual coming from the south, so there's virtually no rust. So far as I can tell, for the money within my price range (3k for the swap), my best option is a LsV build with spray or a turbo down the line. For now, I just want to figure out what I should do about the motor- rear disc conversion, coilovers, a suspension bushing refresh, and fresh rims and tires are all on my list.

I've got the stock y7 in there still- if I understand correctly, all I need is a mount kit and then my engine and trans will bolt right in- fuel lines, exhaust, and everything else will not need to be modified. I'll need a shift linkage, harness, ecu, and axles, but that's about it, right?

But, if I want the car to pass inspection (by swapping out a hondata ecu for a stock one when the time comes), won't I need a OBD2 block and head? If anyone could clear this up for me, and maybe give me their input on what route to go, that would be great.
IMG_3196.JPG

Briansol

Admins
Admin
VIP
where are you located? every state has different laws.

If i were you, i'd do a k20.

eb122333

where are you located? every state has different laws.

If i were you, i'd do a k20.
New Jersey. If I was able to find a EG that wasn't beat to shit I wouldn't have this issue to deal with- '95 and older don't require inspection.

I've found plenty of base model RSX partouts on FB- motor, trans, half shaft, harness, shifter, and cables for 1k or less most of the time- I think that might be my best option for a drivetrain.
Tack on 500 for mounts, another 500 for axles, 1k for kpro (or less for a reflash + ecu), and maybe another 1000 incidentals and it seems realistic that I could pull this swap off for 3-4k, and have plenty of room to upgrade later.

There's plenty of other stuff to do while I'm pricing out the swap itself- gotta get tires and a rear disc conversion first!

eb122333

Picking up a rear disc conversion from a teggy on Friday. Gonna get cracking on that soon, hopefully.

So far as the swap itself goes, there's a few ways to go about mounts- simplest is going with a k20, keeping the stock subframe, and buying the appropriate mounts. If I want more ground clearance and/or want the torque of a k24, I'll need to grab an EG subframe, and go with EKK2 mounts or the like.

Anyone here ever swap out their subframe for one from an eg/dc? How much of a PITA was it? I'd rather spend the money and time elsewhere, but if it seems to be worthwhile I'll start my hunt for a subframe this week.

eb122333

Crashed it, lol. Hit a barrier on a 95 on ramp in the rain and bent the hell out of two wheels - it still runs and drives. Not sure if there’s any structural damage, but the car is 100% cosmetically. K swap is on hold until I can sort things out