98 JDM ITR pistons/rods in a B16A

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicious

Buck Futter
VIP
im sure theres some kinda faq about this somewhere, but i couldnt find it...

will 98 ITR pistons/rods fit on a b16 crank?

they will physically fit but the rods are different lengths, the piston will sit way lower than the deck. you can put the itr piston on your b16 rods but i think you have to mill 1mm off each side of the rod at the wrist pin connection.

will it physically fit on the crank? yes.

will it work in the b16 block? no.

the rods are the wrong length for the block. i dont know the exact figures but im 99% sure that it wont work.

if you try to put the ITR pistons on b16 rods, again it wont work. for one, the b16 rods wont fit on the ITR pistons becasue the b16 rods are too fat on the top. you would either have to shave the rod or shave the piston to get it to fit. its been done and honestly i dont think its worth it. secondly putting ITR pistons in would only decrease compression, the domes are even smaller for ITR then the b16.

if you are trying to raise compression, you have 3 options : GSR head, thinner head gasket, aftermarket pistons.

Originally posted by civicious@Mar 10 2004, 06:27 PM
itr pistons would LOWER compression??? wtf?

that is correct, the b16 pistons have a larger dome. the USDM b16 pistons have even a larger dome then the JDM ITR pistons.

PR3 (USDM B16) - 6.01cc
P30 (JDM B16) - 6.93cc
P73-A0 (USDM ITR) - 3.64cc
P73-00 (JDM ITR) - 5.96cc

from c-speedracing.com. the volume is measured in cubic centimeters and is per piston.

Originally posted by SixtySecondAssassin+Mar 11 2004, 02:55 PM-->
@Mar 10 2004, 06:21 PM
if you are trying to raise compression, you have 3 options : GSR head, thinner head gasket, aftermarket pistons.

or CTR pistons.......

well CTR pistons wont directly fit, they require the same kind of work that trying to put the ITR pistons in would. you would need to shave the rods or pistons to fit because the b16/ls rod ends are wider then the gsr/itr/ctr.

CTR pistons + B16A = RAD

The rod-mod needed in allowing a CTR piston fit a B16 rod is no big deal at all. Take the pistons & rods to a machine shop, show them how the rod's upper wrist pin doesn't fit into the underside of the CTR piston; the guy should know what to do (shave either sides of the rod down so it will accept the CTR piston); he should mount the pistons onto the rods for you..and presto..its done.

It would be a good idea to get the rods & pistons balanced while yer at the machine shop.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Mar 11 2004, 04:03 PM

well CTR pistons wont directly fit, they require the same kind of work that trying to put the ITR pistons in would. you would need to shave the rods or pistons to fit because the b16/ls rod ends are wider then the gsr/itr/ctr.

i know they wont directly fit, i said that in the first reply.

Originally posted by SixtySecondAssassin+Mar 11 2004, 05:32 PM-->
@Mar 11 2004, 04:03 PM

i know they wont directly fit, i said that in the first reply.

well you said that with ITR pistons they needed to be shaved, and i simply cleared it up for those who didnt know that the same needed to be done for the CTR's

Back