99 Civic LX convert to vtec turbo and 5 speed?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

raidmax

I just purchased a 1999 Civic LX

1.6L d16y7 (i think) non-vtec and auto trans. :( I couldnt pass up the deal... $3000 and it had a $1500+ system in it. Some teenage girl had it and got a new car. It doesnt have a scratch or dent on it. anyways.....

What would be the best way to get my civic vtec, turbo, and 5 speed? I was wondering about how much $$$ it would cost to have the vtec head swapped in my civic, change it from auto to 5 speed, new vtec ECU, mild rebuild, and a turbo kit. Nothing major on the rebuild and turbo kit... just looking for around 250hp for now.

I know a little bit about engines and turbos... but not enough to do all of this myself. I would need it done at a shop by a pro.

I know a little bit about engines and turbos... but not enough to do all of this myself. I would need it done at a shop by a pro.

Then call up some shops and get estimates. I'm not exactly sure what you want from us. If you're planning on paying someone to do all of this, then go get with them on it. Prices can vary greatly depending on where you take it, what parts you want to use, etc....

I was asking about how much do you think it would cost.... just a rough estimate... cheapest way to do it.... and what is the best/cheapest way to convert my non-vtec auto to a vtec 5 speed turbo.

Do a whole vtec engine and 5 speed swap? I read somewhere that said you can just take the top end off a vtec engine and swap it on my non-vtec...

I know it all depends on what parts I use, and where I take it.... but I live in West Virginia and there are no shops around here that would know anything about putting a turbo on a Honda. Im going to take it out of state somewhere to a shop that knows what they're doing.

So... whats the best/cheapest way to do this? I cant flip through the phone book here in good ol West Virginia and find a tuner shop to get quotes.... the only thing I see listed is Hillbilly Auto Shop and Redneck HotRod Shop. They just tell me "we aint ever heard a one a em there turbochargers down here, we can putcha chevy 350 v8 in her if ya wanna." :D

Well probably around 3-4 thousand if you have a shop do it because all the stuff you want to do is relatively easy, but just takes a long time. However you may want to adjust your goals because there is no way you are going to reliably hit 250hp in a D16Y7 or Y8 with just a mild rebuild.

would you recommend....

re-building my d16y7, convert it to vtec, ect ect

or just swap in a h22 vtec engine?

my ultimate goal is 300+ hp with the littlest money spent ;)

Dude, power is not cheap. If you want that much power, it's not going to be cheap. If you do it cheaply, then it's probably going to end up blowing up later. 300 horses is going to require rebuilding the engine, and I don't mean just freshening it up, I mean replacing the internals with after-market stuff. If you can't do any of this yourself, then you're probably looking at at least 5 grand, if not much more...

Dude, power is not cheap. If you want that much power, it's not going to be cheap. If you do it cheaply, then it's probably going to end up blowing up later. 300 horses is going to require rebuilding the engine, and I don't mean just freshening it up, I mean replacing the internals with after-market stuff. If you can't do any of this yourself, then you're probably looking at at least 5 grand, if not much more...

Yup that sounds rigth to me
If you want the power you have to pay up :slap:

Back