99 OBD2 GSR swap into 94 OBD1 civic Wiring

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Rjs4490

ok...i know ive been on this subject for a while now but i tihnk i found a solution to clear up my wiring problem...i found this guy that has a 2000 GSR OBD2 Wiring Harness...So my car has a 99 GSR motor in it and i am using a p72 ECU....If i buy the 2000 GSR OBD2 harness and buy a jumper harness(OBD2 to OBD1 conversion) and connect the jumper harness to my OBD1 p72 will everything work right?

If you're using an OBD2 motor, you should use an OBD2 ECU.

If I were you, I'd get an OBD2 ECU, and run an OBD1 to OBD2 jumper harness at the ECU.

Basically your ECU, distributor, and injectors all need to be from the same OBD. So you can't run an OBD2 dizzy with an obd1 ECU.

what if i use a obd2 harness with a obd2 to obd1 jumper conversion harness so i can use a obd1 ecu??

the thing is im having problems with v-tec...i think im current setup in my car is

obd2 gsr motor
obd1 wiring harness from the 94 civic(D16Z6 VTEC engine)
obd1 p72 ECU

v-tec does not seem to hit at all??

so i want to get this setup because i dont know the harness and how it was setup

obd2 gsr motor
obd2 gsr wiring harness
obd2 to obd1 jumper harness
obd1 p72 ECU

if i do this setup will i need a obd2 dizzy,alternator, injectors??? or am i all set

If you go that way you will have to get OBD1 dizzy, injectors.

So wait a second, the distributor now is obd2 or obd1?

see thats the thing...i dont know...im pretty sure my current setup is a d16z6 wiring harness with p72 ECU im not sure though...this is why i want to rewire the engine

So the distributor would have to be OBD1, otherwise the car wouldn't run. Where did you get this swap? Sounds kind of mismatched.

Is the car running at all?

If the car is running currently and it runs well besides the fact that the vtec doesn't work there must be something else wrong and all your efforts in converting the wiring harness to OBD2 will be for nothing. If you are runnning the car with OBD1 wiring you'll need to buy a new dizzy, injectors, alternator to be able to convert it to OBD2 wiring and all that money may be wasted.

Check the vtec pressure sensor, remove it and clean the screen because it might be dirty. I had my vtec not working before because the screen was dirty and the sensor wasn't seeing enough pressure to enable vtec. Also does your temp sensor work? If your temp sensor isn't working that will hinder vtec engagement as well.

I have an obd 1 harness running my engine, ls/vtec with B18B OBD2 and GSR head OBD2 converted to OBD1. I even rewired my OBD2 dizzy to OBD1 and it works fine.

Back