A couple of small things I've learned

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phyregod

!!YTINASNI
I read the thread title: "Lesson learned?" and a few small things popped into my mind. They are small, insignificant, but may save you from going through the same thing I did. Life's Lessons, so to speak.

1. DO NOT buy a billet aluminum oil cap. Or any other metal oil cap for that matter. It will burn the piss out of your hands if you have to add oil while the engine is warm. Stupid invention. Little bit of bling. Negative functionality.

2. DO NOT install a "Type R" shift knob. I even purchased mine from an acura dealership so I knew I would be getting the real deal. Metal shift knobs SUCK. If it is more than 95 degrees outside, your shift knob will heat to exactly one billion degrees. It sucks to shift with a scalding hot knob.

3. Tabasco hot sauce is aged in barrels for 3 years before it is put in that tiny bottle and sold at wal-mart. That one changed my life.

4. Magnetic oil plugs are the real deal. They really catch debris that is floating around in the oil.

Thats all for now.

engine.jpg

see the lil thing that looks like it says, "do not touch"....believe it.

Quoted post[/post]]
I read the thread title: "Lesson learned?" and a few small things popped into my mind. They are small, insignificant, but may save you from going through the same thing I did. Life's Lessons, so to speak.

1. DO NOT buy a billet aluminum oil cap. Or any other metal oil cap for that matter. It will burn the piss out of your hands if you have to add oil while the engine is warm. Stupid invention. Little bit of bling. Negative functionality.

2. DO NOT install a "Type R" shift knob. I even purchased mine from an acura dealership so I knew I would be getting the real deal. Metal shift knobs SUCK. If it is more than 95 degrees outside, your shift knob will heat to exactly one billion degrees. It sucks to shift with a scalding hot knob.

3. Tabasco hot sauce is aged in barrels for 3 years before it is put in that tiny bottle and sold at wal-mart. That one changed my life.

4. Magnetic oil plugs are the real deal. They really catch debris that is floating around in the oil.

Thats all for now.

Not to mean or a jerk but......
1.Common Sense tells you not to put your bare hands on anything hot.
2.When it is more than 95 degrees outside, go get a windshield cover so the inside of your won't heat up as much to where you'll burn yourself touching anything in the car.
3. I can grind up some very hot peppers in 3 minutes and make 3 years of aged tobasco seem like 300 years aged.
4. Yes magnetic oil plugs do work.

5. Do it right the first time. Or else you will do it over again.
6. If you have a CAI, buy a bypass valve.
7. make sure when you put spark plugs in, that you have the correct kind and you are putting them in correctly.
8. Jack the car up on the jacking points. NOT the underbody. it will push the floorboard up.
9. Dont forget to put teh vaccum hose back on your MAP sensor or the car will run like complete shit and smoke.

5. Heparin, a popular blood thinner used in surgery, is made from the main ingredient found in leech saliva.
6. When it says, "rinse, lather, repeat.." you don't have to repeat.

*Everything is easier the second time around

*Everything is fixable, but sometimes it costs money

*Some backpressure is a good thing

*There is always time to sand

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Thats all for now.

Not to mean or a jerk but......
1.Common Sense tells you not to put your bare hands on anything hot.
2.When it is more than 95 degrees outside, go get a windshield cover so the inside of your won't heat up as much to where you'll burn yourself touching anything in the car.
3. I can grind up some very hot peppers in 3 minutes and make 3 years of aged tobasco seem like 300 years aged.
4. Yes magnetic oil plugs do work.

sense of humor > you

I loved this line;
If it is more than 95 degrees outside, your shift knob will heat to exactly one billion degrees.

:laugh:

-Anti-Sieze every bolt that could possibly be removed in the forseable future.

-Loctite any remaining bolts.

-PB-Blaster and a breaker bar doesn't break as many bolts as a huge Craftsman impact gun.

-If its off the car, and in your hands - clean it, repaint it, and make sure it's not broken.

-Pressing in EX bushings is like putting Chubby Checker in a blender.

-If it comes from a dealership, its expensive.

-Nothing fits when you go to put it back on.

Quoted post[/post]]
-Anti-Sieze every bolt that could possibly be removed in the forseable future.

-PB-Blaster and a breaker bar doesn't break as many bolts as a huge Craftsman impact gun.
Great Advice!

Quoted post[/post]]

-If it comes from a dealership, its expensive.

Damn Right, I bought the moldings for around the windsheild, three moldings weighing less than 1 pound combined(not that weight is a factor in cost) were $120!

10. The craftsman hand tools guarantee is the real deal.

Their "no questions asked" hand tool replacement guarantee is the real deal. I even volunteered that I had cut my "craftsman" tapemeasure in half with my "craftsman" circular saw... He laughed and replaced it anyway.

I also broke a jaw off of a $40 set of lineman's pliers. He did ask how I had broken them just out of sheer curiosity. I told him that I was trying to cut a piece of half-inch thick solid copper with them, and had placed them on the ground, copper in the jaws, and was jumping up and down on them. He replaced 'em with a smile. I've also raped several of their teardrop ratchets.

11. Auto-Zone axles rock. They have a lifetime guarantee on them, break it, get a new one free. (hint-hint drag racers out there)

12. Hyundai can use a dent in the exterior of a car as grounds to void a warantee.

Happened to a friend of mine, got the 10 year warantee, got a basket-ball sized dent in the side of his car from a fight he was in. A couple of months later reverse stopped working and he took it to them. He lost 9 years of warantee because his car "was not in the shape that a new car should be in" Voided. He basically threw the car in the trash, its rotting next to another friend's house.

-Pulling a dashboard out of an '04 Pilot sucks ass.

-"Testing my speed governor" Is not a smart thing to say to a cop.

-

Quoted post[/post]]
10. The craftsman hand tools guarantee is the real deal.

Their "no questions asked" hand tool replacement guarantee is the real deal. I even volunteered that I had cut my "craftsman" tapemeasure in half with my "craftsman" circular saw... He laughed and replaced it anyway.

I also broke a jaw off of a $40 set of lineman's pliers. He did ask how I had broken them just out of sheer curiosity. I told him that I was trying to cut a piece of half-inch thick solid copper with them, and had placed them on the ground, copper in the jaws, and was jumping up and down on them. He replaced 'em with a smile. I've also raped several of their teardrop ratchets.

11. Auto-Zone axles rock. They have a lifetime guarantee on them, break it, get a new one free. (hint-hint drag racers out there)

12. Hyundai can use a dent in the exterior of a car as grounds to void a warantee.

Happened to a friend of mine, got the 10 year warantee, got a basket-ball sized dent in the side of his car from a fight he was in. A couple of months later reverse stopped working and he took it to them. He lost 9 years of warantee because his car "was not in the shape that a new car should be in" Voided. He basically threw the car in the trash, its rotting next to another friend's house.
word, my dad always said craftsmen was the shit and now i love all my craftsmen tools.

Quoted post[/post]]
-Pulling a dashboard out of an '04 Pilot sucks ass.

-"Testing my speed governor" Is not a smart thing to say to a cop.

-
true story from one of my dad's friends from staten island. its 4 in the morning. my dad's friend is coming back from AC as fast as his car could take him. right before he got home he hit a speed trap. he gets pulled over and the cop looks pissed as shit. he approaches the car and in a scary as voice(from what i was told) he says, "ive been waiting for an asshole like you all mother fucking night". and what my dad's friend said back got him out of a ticket or even a written warning. what did he say?

"well oficer i didnt want to keep you waiting so, i got here as fast s i could"

the cop literally let him go, no ticket or anything. my dad's friends from staten island have some great fucking stories. thats one of the worst ones.

the term "direct bolt on" really means "if you fuck with it enough you can make it work"
and
working on cars is a delicate art of beating the shit out of it with a hammer

Quoted post[/post]]

so very true
i have the skunk2 knob... i love it but it does get retardedly hot after sitting in the sun all day

Quoted post[/post]]
the term "direct bolt on" really means "if you fuck with it enough you can make it work"
and
working on cars is a delicate art of beating the shit out of it with a hammer

Quoted post[/post]]

so very true
i have the skunk2 knob... i love it but it does get retardedly hot after sitting in the sun all day
i just throw a t-shirt over it before i know its going to sit in the sun for a while. i dont always remeber though.

- If you build it they will come...that was wrong, I built up my car and never saw Dale Earnhardt come back to life.

- If there are no screws left over, you did something wrong.

- Computers have more maintenance than a car.

- Never trust a company to give you anything in the future if your already taking too much of the pie, Bethlahem steel, GM, Delphi, or any other union work environment.

Quoted post[/post]]
5. Do it right the first time. Or else you will do it over again.
:werd:
"If you don't do it right the first time, you must have the time to do it over"

"No one realizes what you do, until you don't do it"

The second one is completely true because I used to bust my balls at my last job and never got a thank you or a pat on the back, as soon as something didn't get done, they tried to chew me out.

1. PB Blaster works great for pulling rubber exhaust hangers off, those things can be a real bitch otherwise.
2. I agree with E Sol. My magnaflow exhaust was supposed to be direct bolt on, but it required a lot of modification, to the exhaust and to the car itself to make the damn thing fit. And it's still hanging at a slight angle.
3. 90% of the sellers on Ebay are legit, but read feedback first. You can spot bad sellers from a mile away if you research them just a little first.
4. You can get that same part you saw somewhere else, on Ebay for usually 1/2 to 2/3 the price. Who cares if it might be stolen. :)
5. If it ain't broke, take it apart anyway, you might learn something valuable.
6. Bag and label all small parts separately according to where they go back on to. I have a pile of screws for my interior from when I put in the B-Quiet Ultimate last weekend, and I still can't figure out which screw/bolt goes in which hole. On the bright side it seems to be fine without the screws believe it or not.
7. Shifting quickly doesn't mean shifting violently like they do in stupid movies like 2 Fast 2 Furious. You can shift really fast without shifting hard. And you'll save your transmission some wear and tear.
8. Don't buy screws, washers, and bolts from the dealer, or even an auto parts store. Buy them from a hardware store. The Ace hardware by my house has saved me probably hundreds of dollars over the years compared to buying those screws somewhere else.
9. Get yourself a nice big sheet of cardboard to lay on if you have to do work under the car on the street or a driveway. It makes the ground a lot less painful.

Back