Air flow sensor?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

timEspeed

I finished my ZC swap a while ago and I've been working out the various problems I've been having with it. It hasn't been idling right and bogs under accelleration. My mechanic says the ECU doesn't know how much air the motor is gettting and therfore can't adjust fuel and ignition. I'm getting a code 4 (EACV I think), could this have anything to do with it? He thinks that the motor should have an air flow sensor, but I haven't heard anything about such a part on the ZC.
thanx, in advance, for the help~
~timE

BTW: I have a '91 DX with K+N filter and a custom EG Si down pipe. I'm quite sure that all the MPFI wiring is correct.

the ZC doesn't have a mass airflow sensor - code 4 is the crank angle sensor which is inside the distributor - usual suspects are incorrect camshaft timing or bad distributor

the ZC doesn't have a mass airflow sensor

you sure? I've seen diagrams with the MAF labeled. By the thottle body right?
if not...
code 4 is the crank angle sensor which is inside the distributor - usual suspects are incorrect camshaft timing or bad distributor

Could the lack of a signal from the CAS cause the bog in acceleration? I already set the timming with a new belt and water pump. I opened up the distributor and it looks brand new, i.e clean post (that electrode jobby) and rotor pick up.
thanx for the feedback.

That would be the MAP sensor. Manifold Air Pressure.

All Honda's are Speed Density systems for guessing air flow, not metering it.

That would be the MAP sensor. Manifold Air Pressure.

All Honda's are Speed Density systems for guessing air flow, not metering it.

Ok, I thought so but just wanted to make sure. How's the Speed Density system work?

The computer has a bunch of pre-clculated maps in it, and it reads throttle position and Manifold Air Pressure to guess at what the engine needs... On the newer crs, it factors in Intake Air Temperatures, also, and it works pretty good by fine tuning with the Oxygen sensor readings. The ECU will actually "learn" how an individual engine operates, as far as fine tuning fuel and timing requirements. It's a great system.

Back