Alternator swivel bolt seized. Please Help!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

citabria

Hello All,
I ran in to a bit of a prolem today while attempting to change the timing belt and the water pump on my 92 civic dx. I needed to remove the alternator belt off the crank pulley, so I losened tension on the bottom swivel bolt as well ast the top sliding bolt of the alternator, but the alternator would not move. Two hours later after spraying wd40, prying, hammering, cursing, swearing, the alterantor remained at the same position with the belt in full tension. The alternator itself seems to be seized right at the swivel pont and it can't be rotated.
I am running out of ideas, I am a little reluctant of using the torch since the alternator itself is aluminum, and there is also a fuel line running up to the fuel pressure regulator right behind the alternator.
Please Help!!!
Thanks.
NazarL

have you tried hammering from the bottom up? didn't know they could get that stuck in there! mine came out with ease

spray it with a good penatrant! do it for a full day or two. Constantly spray it about once an hour. If that dont work then beat that shit with a sledge hammer. lol j/k

Yeah, use somethin like kroil oil. and just tap on the bolt repeadedly, it'll help work the pentrant into the threads it will eventually come out

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Oct 23 2002, 09:27 AM
Yeah, use somethin like kroil oil. and just tap on the bolt repeadedly, it'll help work the pentrant into the threads it will eventually come out

Kroil oil works wonders - let it soak for a while. the longer you keep putting it on and letting it work the better.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
I will try some of that penetrating oil for a few days and give it another shot trying to pry it off or hammer it off.
Thanks again!
Regards,
NazarL
:worthy:

Back