Another Shift Linkage Help Needed Removal Thread!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Cardomain.com is not allowing pic uploads until Sunday (tomm.), so I am having to upload them to geocities.com
Ok, here are the links to the pics I took of my shift linkage. I have looked on c-speed racing and mine seems to look different than theirs.

Please feel free to upload the pics to a site that allows direct linkage and add text to explain what the hell I am suppose to do.

My goal today before going to work was to get the exhaust disconnected and the shift linkage out. I got the exhaust (2 bolts WOW ) and the shift linkage is still intact.....

http://www.geocities.com/lx98civic/SwapDay01.html

Click on the pics to make them larger..... Save and add text as needed please

One of them is just a bolt you can unscrew, and the other is a rivet. Apparently honda thought they could save 6 cents by putting a rivet in one of the D series shift linkages. You have to get a grinder and grind one end of it off (I ground the driver's side). If you plan on putting it back in you just need to put it back together and weld it in.

if you are talking about removing the linkage from the tranny, slide the rubber boot back, pop off the clip. You should see a pin that is pressed in. Take a long extension, or 2, place a screwdriver attachment on the end with a philips bit, put this in the pin (its hollow) and beat it out with a large hammer. once it gets down far enough, take the screw driver attachment off, slide a bolt in the hole, place a socket that will fit the bolt, and drive it out the rest of the way. should take you about 10 minutes that way :D

also if you are palnning to re connect the shift linkage, which you probably are, you need to save that little pin he said that you need to pound out. you will need it again. i know that this is a no brainer but my friend bent his and was severley fucked until the next day when he could get another

Originally posted by MR. EG@Mar 4 2003, 05:31 PM
also if you are palnning to re connect the shift linkage, which you probably are, you need to save that little pin he said that you need to pound out. you will need it again. i know that this is a no brainer but my friend bent his and was severley fucked until the next day when he could get another

right- just get a bolt or a tap about the same size, and GENTLY hammer it out.

can't you just put a bolt in there? I saved my pin, but I've heard you can do that

try this, this is a really easy way to remove the infamous "EVIL PIN"!!

if you have or ever had A/C on your engine, take one 12mm bolt from the a/c bracket, it should be a long, skinny 12mm bolt with a point on the end, this is perfect. now get a hefty hammer, I use a 10lb sledge.. place the bolt onto the evil pin, and pop it, it should go all the way thru the linkage and pop out on the top! you can use this same bolt to pop it back in

good luck

I have a snapon tool that is specifically shaped just for the bitchpin. Works with a air hammer. I will get a part number tommorow

Im right in the middle of a D series to B20. Easiest way took me less then a minute.

Take a large punch that is the same size as the bitch pin itself, all I have heard that pushing the pin out from the center of it fucks it bad sometime. I got it about half way out, cause of the tapered shaft on the punch. Then took a small punch and tapped it twice and she came out.

I have heard that putting something inside of the bitch pin almost always spreads it outwards and renders it unsuable.

Back