ARP Studs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

ok, I got the ARP stud kit for Nitrous setups. It's a 10 stud kit, with an included 3/16th allen key. Of course you can't torque it down with the allen key, so I have a Great Neck hex socket, on a 3/8" drive indexed torque wrench.

And it's rolling in the stud ! What the hell ?! At about 50 pounds it strips out the tool and begins to harass the stud. What is going on here ? Is there something I'm missing ?

It has to go to 70 lbs /ft.

-> Steve

Headstuds or main studs...

ARP specifically says to install the studs hand tight.

Theres a 12 point nut that you're supposed to torque not the allen!!

i cannot beleive that you tqed down the studs into the block... i just put a small vice grip on mine and send them for a spin untill they stop....

good luck i hope you didnt do any dammage to the block,,, if the engine is out of the car then get it checked for cracks around that area... if its in the car give it a good eye and cross your fingers and hope for the best

you are supose to tq the nut that came with the studs down to 70ft/lbs on top of the head to hold it down

There are two sets of instructions, one for the stud installation and the other for the nut torquing. Studs distinctly state, with the ARP lube, to go to 70 lbs/ft. The nuts are going to 75 lbs/ft.

94CivicSlow: Thanks for nothing, Your post has enlightened the ever living shit out of me.

I'll just call ARP direct.

I, unlike you know how to install the stud kit and didnt break my "Great Neck" tools in the process, jackass. Studs are to be installed HAND TIGHT. BY HAND.

Originally posted by 94CivicSlow@Jun 30 2005, 10:28 AM
I, unlike you know how to install the stud kit and didnt break my "Great Neck" tools in the process, jackass. Studs are to be installed HAND TIGHT. BY HAND.
[post=518568]Quoted post[/post]​

:owned: on top of :owned:

Originally posted by Blanco@Jun 30 2005, 05:58 PM
gallery_18495_48_4605.jpeg

Such an awesome image

Originally posted by Celerity@Jun 30 2005, 09:29 AM
There are two sets of instructions, one for the stud installation and the other for the nut torquing. Studs distinctly state, with the ARP lube, to go to 70 lbs/ft. The nuts are going to 75 lbs/ft.

94CivicSlow: Thanks for nothing, Your post has enlightened the ever living shit out of me.

I'll just call ARP direct.
[post=518549]Quoted post[/post]​

I think you need to read the instrustions again. You are being flamed because it make no sense to torque studs. Per ARP the recommended torque provides 75% of the yield of the fastener. If you torque the stud and then the nut you would exceed the yield of the stud and the tap in the block.

This is per ARP's web site....
gallery_38856_410_48058.jpg

alright alright alright alright I was fuckin owned.

-> Steve

Head is on now, tight as can be.

Originally posted by Celerity@Jul 2 2005, 11:03 PM
alright alright alright alright I was fuckin owned.

-> Steve

Head is on now, tight as can be.
[post=519915]Quoted post[/post]​

:thumbsup:

Hey, sometimes it happenes to the best of us.... :D

Back