Audiophiles?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reikoshea

HS Troll...And Mod
VIP
So I've been into the hobby for just about a year now, and I just added my 6th set of headphones to my collection, and I started wondering if anyone else is in the hobby. Just wanted to see what everyone else is rocking, what your thoughts are on what you own, and what you're looking to upgrade to.

Current:
RBH EP3 (IEMs)
Pioneer HDJ-2000 (old work headphones and have sentimental value)
Phillips SHP9500 (Best bang for the buck headphone ever...but you can't use them in an office)
Fostex T50RP (Home desk headphones)
Fostex T40RP (Office headphones)
HiFiMan HE-350 (Because HiFi Man)
2x Schiit Magni 2 (One uber, one non)
2x Schiit Modi 2
M-Audio AV40 (Desk speakers)
JBL Studio 5's (AV)
Yamaha A-840
(These next two were added for shits and giggles. I didn't need either of them, but now that I have them, I wouldn't have it any other way).
Audio Technica AT2035 Cardioid Mic
Behringer Xenyx 302usb Mixer

Retired (sold):
Audio Technica ATH-M50x (Not all they were cracked up to be)
Sennheiser HD280 (Old and heavy)
Sony MDR-7506 (Replaced by the Pioneers)
Micca Origen+ (Couldn't get my Fostex cans loud enough)

The Fostex are still my favorites for every day use. Both pairs have Shure 1540 pads on them, and they're awesome. The T50s are great for pretty much any type of music. Clear and neutral all the way through. The T40s are warmer, and are closed back, so they don't leak sound all over my co-workers. When I see people with Bose QC35s or Beats Studios, I think "Man, I got a DAC, Amp, Headphones, Pads, and wires for cheaper than your headphones and mine sound WAY better. But they're admittedly ugly as sin.".

SHP9500s I use for watching TV at night. They leak like a sieve, but are $60 headphones that are better than most things I've ever heard, and don't need amplification.

HiFiMans are meh, and running Shure 1840 pads. With the pads they suck a LOT less than stock, and are probably exactly what you'd expect from a $120 pair of headphones.

The RBH EP3s are fucking awesome. Amazing sound quality and unbelievable amounts of bass (easily the most bass heavy headphones I own). Only downside is you can't really work out in them because they transfer every bump, clothing movement, and footstep straight up the cable and into your ears.

I'm looking at replacing my AV40s with some Emotiva Airmotiv6's (210 watts per channel, self power bookshelves :cry:)

In the living room I have a pair of JBL Studio 590s for the fronts, and a 520C for the center. Looking getting 2 pairs of cheapo front ported bookshelves, to complete my 7.0 setup in my living room. Sound Appeal 6.5s are the top contender. I'm of the opinion that sound quality doesn't really matter for effects tracks. No sub, since I live in an apartment....but if I do buy a house, there will be an SVS 12" in it.

I have no idea what my next purchase will be in the headphone arena....Probably look at some tube amps since there's no set of headphones I really want to drop cash on at the moment.

Last edited:
by no means am i a headphone collector...but i made a post awhile ago...I am hooked on the V-Moda M100 Crossfades with the FIIO Alpen 17 DAC Amp..I tried out a bunch, most notable were the Beyerdynamics Custom One Pro's, 990DTS, and Sennheiser Momentum....I definitely liked the V-Modas over all those..When i don't want to be annoyed by a wire i use JBL Reflect Mini...i tried a bunch of bluetooth ones too but these were the best i thought, which isn't saying much because there is random cutouts if i turn my head sometimes, but others were much worse with either sound or cutouts.

My Upstairs audio consists of Polk Audio Monitor 70 Towers, Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 350's for rears and a Klipsch R12SW Sub-woofer all hooked up to a Yamaha RX-840 Aventage.

Man cave rocks BIC Acoustech HT-75 Towers, HT-63 Rears, HT-85 Center and H-100 Sub woofer running off a Yamaha RX-740 Aventage .

My Sunroom rocks some Vintage Klipsch KG3's hooked up to a Yamaha RX-V671

My deck rocks a pair of Klipsch A650s outdoor speakers on a Yamaha RX-565

by no means am i a headphone collector...but i made a post awhile ago...I am hooked on the V-Moda M100 Crossfades with the FIIO Alpen 17 DAC Amp..I tried out a bunch, most notable were the Beyerdynamics Custom One Pro's, 990DTS, and Sennheiser Momentum....I definitely liked the V-Modas over all those..When i don't want to be annoyed by a wire i use JBL Reflect Mini...i tried a bunch of bluetooth ones too but these were the best i thought, which isn't saying much because there is random cutouts if i turn my head sometimes, but others were much worse with either sound or cutouts.

I really do think the M100s are the best of what you said you've tried. They're a pair that I recommend to nearly everyone who's like "I've got money, and just want an awesome set of headphones for work". When I bought my T40s they were the runner up...but I just couldn't say no to more Fostex.

I have a set of sony mdr xb950bt that i've been very happy with. I've never really tried anything other than Bose which were crap.

been rocking the same Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's for a long time now. use some cheap bluetooth headphones for lawn work and whatnot.

Back