Aussie 5th gen accord h22a swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dtaila

As i only have an american produced "HAYNES" accord workshop manual (the only one i can get in australia) i have been referring to it for some help with clearing 2 codes from my ECU ( ECU is JDM OBD1 p13) and is asking for the EGR and ELD sensors to be fixed.

As i explained before, the egr lift valve on my jdm h22a needs to be hooked up to the new ecu as the (aussie spec f22b1) engine that came in my car didnt come with an egr lift valve. I have looked in the workshop manual and the position on the engine where it should be is empty on my old f22b1.

also, the position in the fuse box where the ELD is in the workshop manual is bare on my 94 aussie spec accord. The ecu is asking for this and it is idling like shit because there isnt one!!! i reckon there should be but i dont know where to start looking. the photos of it in my workshop manual clearly displayed where it should be but on my aussie spec accord there isnt a plug where it should be.

What should i do? would an auto elect be able to fit an ELD sensor to my car?

Originally posted by dtaila@Mar 22 2004, 10:44 PM
As i only have an american produced "HAYNES" accord workshop manual (the only one i can get in australia) i have been referring to it for some help with clearing 2 codes from my ECU ( ECU is JDM OBD1 p13) and is asking for the EGR and ELD sensors to be fixed.

As i explained before, the egr lift valve on my jdm h22a needs to be hooked up to the new ecu as the (aussie spec f22b1) engine that came in my car didnt come with an egr lift valve. I have looked in the workshop manual and the position on the engine where it should be is empty on my old f22b1.

also, the position in the fuse box where the ELD is in the workshop manual is bare on my 94 aussie spec accord. The ecu is asking for this and it is idling like shit because there isnt one!!! i reckon there should be but i dont know where to start looking. the photos of it in my workshop manual clearly displayed where it should be but on my aussie spec accord there isnt a plug where it should be.

What should i do? would an auto elect be able to fit an ELD sensor to my car?

I did a quick search and found this troubleshooting guide.

Code 20 - Electric Load Detector

First make sure you have a good battery....

Open the Main Fuse box lid (Right side shock tower).
Disconnect the 3 point connector, from the ELD unit. (Follow the harraness that runs through the box).
With the ignition switch ON, there should be battery voltage between the BLK/YEL(+) and BLK(-) terminals.

If there is no voltage, check for:

Blown No. 14 (10A) fuse in the dash fuse box.
An open in the BLK/YEL(+) wire between the dash fuse box and the main fuse box.
Pour ground (G201)
If there is voltage then goto the next step.....

Check for voltage between the GRN/RED terminal and body ground with the ignition switch ON. There should
be approximately 5V.

If the voltage(5V) is not specified, check the alternator control system.
If the voltage is as specified then goto next step.....

Connect the 3 - Point Connector to the ELD unit.

Check for volatage between the GRN/RED terminal and body ground, with the ignition switch ON and turn on the
headlight low beam's.

There should be approximately 2V.

If the voltage(2V) is not specified, replace the main fuse box (ELD unit is not available separately)
If the voltage is as specified above, ELD unit is OK.

okay, thanks for you help. i dont know if i explained things properly the first time.

THERE IS NO ELD ON THIS VEHICLE. AUSTRALIAN SPECIFICATION 5TH GENERATON ACCORDS WITH THE F22B1 SOHC VTEC ENGINE DO NOT HAVE AN ELD .

I have the trouble shooting guide in my workshop manual but none of it applies to my "unique" accord.

there is no 3 point connector to be disconnected in the main fuse box, there is a space where it should be.

there is no #14 listed in the dash fuse box, the is no place for a fuse.

Put your thinking caps on for a moment and think outside the square. is there any possible way an external ELD can be connected to this vehicle. I'll be taking it to an auto electrician very soon i think.

i cant understand why there isnt an ELD on my vehicle. I bought the car stock as a rock off an elderly couple. It still had the original spare tyre that came with the car and it had 100,000 miles on the whole car. nothing had been played with before i bought it so i dont see any other than being australian specification as to why there is no ELD or EGR for that matter.

cheers.

I answered this before.

EGR - The three wires on the EGR are + (constant)/-/switched +

You have to figure out which wire goes where (follow the Haynes wiring schemataic) on the valve itself and send the switched + back to the ecu.

For the ELD you can trace it back to the altenator (I believe)

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by dtaila@Mar 23 2004, 03:16 AM
i cant understand why there isnt an ELD on my vehicle.

That makes two of us.

I think an electrician is your best bet. The egr is easy, but that ELD is a beeoootch. Sorry brother.

well I looked into it last night and on my (93) one of the ELD leads is traceable back to the altenator. Just find out (in the Haynes) which wire is for the ELD on the altenator and that's it. :D

Back