Automakers to gearheads: Stop repairing cars

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Oh hi, I see you need an oil change, Bring it into GM and we will get it done.

Ok so we have
4 quarts of oil
Oil filter
Checked your belts brakes and tires

That will be $129.99

Don't like our price? Sorry your warranty is now void and you can't go anywhere else. If you like you can pay a late fee and we will restart your warranty.

yet, lines full of hydrolic fluid that go bad don't scare you?

cuz, i lost the brakes in my truck due to a line bust, and let me tell you, that was fucking scary.

Things of all kinds can and will break. mechanical or digital.

That's what the emergency brake is for. I'm not naive enough to think mechanically operated systems won't ever break. I just think that mechanical is more reliable than digital electronics. Just think if something stupid happened like a fuse blowing out, now all of a sudden you can't steer or stop or shift gears to slow down and you're going 70-80mph. Or better yet with these new fangled WiFi systems in your cars how about little Jonny in his mom's basement hacks into your car and takes over to start using it to go all GTA with you and your kids inside.

That's what the emergency brake is for. I'm not naive enough to think mechanically operated systems won't ever break. I just think that mechanical is more reliable than digital electronics. Just think if something stupid happened like a fuse blowing out, now all of a sudden you can't steer or stop or shift gears to slow down and you're going 70-80mph. Or better yet with these new fangled WiFi systems in your cars how about little Jonny in his mom's basement hacks into your car and takes over to start using it to go all GTA with you and your kids inside.
I was watching a show on Netflix about bionic people and what have you. They have already had reports of cyber murder. Pacemakers and insulin pumps are controlled via Bluetooth where hackers have upped insulin levels to lethal levels.

even the e-brakes are going electronic. some cars already have them. just push a button to set it. it does absolutely nothing over about 5 or so mph though. so even there its gone.

And b, I have had more electronic failures in cars than hydraulic. typically, you can inspect the hydraulic systems to see if there are any potential failures. sensors dont always give a visual warning. they just go. to help prevent this, there has to be redundant (read: costly) sensors amongst other things to keep it all in check. which will add weight, which will add cost, which will require a little more efficiency from the engine to meet mileage regulations, which will add to cost.

Well, to play the devil.... A monitoring sensor going is not a failure of the electronic unit. Putting the light on tells you to inspect it.

It's kinda like saying carbs are better than EFI, or even direct injection....

Don't most jets/planes now use fly by wire controls? Seems like they only go down when shot down or pilot goes mental.

Yeah, I suppose I could print more than just parts for cars, lol.

I heard all manufactures are working on a self driving car. Our car hobby is coming to an end soon. Watch human driven cars be outlawed.

I seem to recall E having something to say about this.

Back