Autox'ing A 5th Gen

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

You look like your a pretty good driver, I am still kinda a beginner at autoX so everything is a little jerky, but my insane body roll that tosses me around doesnt help either.

hell yeah, you look way better then most people I watch atleast. I didn't see too much 3wheeling either.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jan 17 2003, 11:18 PM
You look like your a pretty good driver, I am still kinda a beginner at autoX so everything is a little jerky, but my insane body roll that tosses me around doesnt help either.

Just remember the theories about "smooth inputs". Practice it on the street, and it makes you a better (and faster) driver. Ease into every motion, and never let your hands cross over each other. In autocross, try to use the brake later and later for each run, and a higher gear for the long straights. If at all possible, use left-foot braking.

My explanation on left-foot braking:
Picture the fastest line through the corner. Now, lead into the corner *in the same gear that you want to leave the corner*. While you're in the gas, lightly mash the brake with your left foot until the car is setup for the turn (not until you can visualize your line leading into the next corner). Let off the brake smoothly while easing into the gas, your right foot being on the gas the whole time. The first few times you do it, it probably won't be smooth at all, and you might spin out, or even kill the engine. Once you get good at it, you'll trail the inside rear either partially locked for a split second (like in my video), or in slower turns, totally off the ground. Don't let this scare you... it's helping you get around the corner! In fact, try to tell yourself to keep in the throttle. If your revs get too low, and the car bogs, your line is gone. Remember to keep a smooth line, and balance the *suspension*. Remember that the point of left foot braking has nothing really to do with the brakes and engine, but in smoothly weighting the suspension into the turn so you can come out fast. Left foot braking is not about locking up the brakes... you're on the gas, so you really shouldn't lock the fronts in a honda. With stock suspension, it's great for controlling the whip-back of stock suspension when you correct your line.

Ok ... I'm off to pass out now.
-x

Back