B series engines

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey guys I was reading the latest edition of Honda Tuning (august 03) and it stated that the B series is soon to become limited supply for the demand, which means eventually they will be even harder to come by and way more expensive. I know that the USDM Si's and civics are being rpleaced by the i-vtech engine, not to sure about the Integras but I was wondering if anyone knows if they have changed over to the i-vtech in Japan models? I don't think i'll wake up tomorrow and the price will be inflated hella high but if this is the case it may be sooner than expected. Alternatives include H22 which i dont want and dart b series blocks which im not sure what all would be changed with that (trans ect). Has anyone here upgraded the D series engines as the mag is stating as a positive alternative? I know that you can make those engines pretty tough with the proper upgrades and a turbo but has anyone done it already and is it worth it (hp, reliablity)?

i-VTEC, not i-vtech.

Yes, the B series engine has been out of production for two years now. 2001 was the last year of production with the last generation of Integras. Now Honda only makes the D, K, C, and J blocks (I think that's all of them). There's still a pretty good supply of B series engines out there, but now there are no more new ones. You do the supply/demand math- the prices are going to go up until people start modding D series engines or swapping K blocks.

Quite a few people have built very strong D series engines, but they're typically on a much tighter budget than the B series folks, so they don't make as much power or last as long. If you take the same amount of time and attention building a D block as you do a B block, you'll have a very potent engine. There are street driven 175whp naturally aspirated D series engines out there (go hit up dseries.org), and one of my friends just barely cracked 300whp on boost with his D16Y8.

I'm hoping for 150whp all motor (and doing it cheap too) with my CRX's D block, but we'll see what happens.

VTEC = Honda Technololgy
VTech = Cordless Phone Technology

Originally posted by Calesta@Aug 13 2003, 09:56 PM
2001 was the last year of production with the last generation of Integras. Now Honda only makes the D, K, C, and J blocks (I think that's all of them). There's still a pretty good supply of B series engines out there, but now there are no more new ones. You do the supply/demand math- the prices are going to go up until people start modding D series engines or swapping K blocks.

Isn't Chet's ITR BRAND new? As in just made, with 0 miles? I doubt it was sitting around for 2 years before someone bought it. :unsure:

You're right. I didn't think about that- Honda is probably still making new engines to use as replacements since they still need to support their own product, but they definitely are NOT selling whole cars with the B series engines already in them. If they are still producing them (most likely are), then they're special order items for replacement or individual purchase only, and not in mass production like they were when B series engined cars were still in the product lineup.

Originally posted by Afipunk21@Aug 13 2003, 09:56 PM
VTEC = Honda Technololgy
VTech = Cordless Phone Technology

Thats why im not an editor or english major....duh.

Yeah there is also and F series according to this mag. I think im gonna look into my options with the D series though. By the time I go to get one next spring the price may be on the up. Thanks Calesta for the site. I'm gonna check that out.

You're welcome. There's a LOT of good info on that site- just make sure to read the archives and the FAQ stuff first.

I doubt that prices will be very high by the time next spring rolls around... just because Honda isn't putting B series engines into cars anymore doesn't mean that every car with a B series engine in it is going to all of a sudden disappear by next spring. People's cars still have to die or be dumped somehow before an engine gets pulled- so I would guestimate the supply just starting to go short sometime late in 2005, but that's just a gut feel. I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're planning to swap early next year.

yeah B series went away so they could lend out engines to Chevy :-(, well that was one purpose anyway. Saturn has an SUV comming out next yr with a Hond engine too. There just more uniform, not "backwards" like the B series was. But who wants originality when you can have money and medeocrity.

RIP B series... :(

:blink: my god whats coming to the world...first no more b series then what...i dont even want to think about...im gonna have nightmares now...

You'll be fine. The K block is a much stronger platform.

the only problem with the K block is that no one makes swap kits for it. that was the beauty of the B is that it fit in everything.

can the K even be put into a 5th gen without thousands of dollars spent on custom work?

I'm not worried about B series being hard to find in my "tuner" lifetime
I got mine and I'm going to start hoarding more in my basement and one day I will control the worlds population of B engines :D

at any rate, media always sensationalizes because it makes it more interesting
if Honda Tuning (I read that issue as well) ran an article that said "Honda isn't making B's anymore but it doesn't really matter cause there is a shitload of them out there" no one would really care

it's not exactly breaking news on the part of Honda Tuning, like Calesta (I think he said it) said there hasn't been a B in a production hond for 2 years now
I think I saw on Honda Tunings site that they were going to run an article next month on Honda not making the CRX anymore

think of how many 1st gen b16's you can still find and how cheap they are, they have been made of over 10 years

the crev is already vtec. but yes, the rsx head will bolt on to it, and it is a better head

See... that's what I'm contemplating... wether or not to trade my car in (in a year or so). Calesta is right, we won't see whortage for a long time (by then I'm assuming that most people will have switched to the K-series in one form or another... new car or swap). I think we'll all be ok for a good while, think of how many aftermarket companies make parts for the B-series...

Sean- people do make swap kits for K blocks. I doubt you'll want to drop one into a 5G Civic though, since the B blocks are still easier and probably won't run out any time soon.

i look at it like this. b16 s sir's are JUST starting to get on the rare side... zc's are still around... and those motors havne't been made in 15 years.

since we got b-series up to 2001, i say we have till 2015 before there are no more b-series in japan... then theres the used one floating around the US.. and by then, god help me if i still have an ef/eg/ek in 2015

Back