B16 emission issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

skellagher

Elder Driver
ok so i sent my car through inspection today and it failed for high hydrocarbons at idle ... i have a stock p30 ecu running 93 octane brand new magnaflow high flow cat and brand new 4 wire o2 sensor. can i have the trick to pass lol i am only like 125ppm off from passing. legal limit here is i think 220ppm and i am somewhere around 340ppm

try putting regular 87 octain gas. your ignition system spark may not be hot enough to completely burn the fuel your using now. in other words your putting out unburnt fuel out your tailpipe. also have you replaced your pcv valve? this may help also in reducing your hydrocarbons parts per million count

no i have not i dont even think my car has one on it. i know where it is suppose to be but not there its still right on the intake runners right?>

Try to run some Seafoam in the tank (and the IM but research it first) but you will need to run the whole tank out.....you can fill 3/4 tank and one bottle. It will get some of the carbons off the IM, injectors, pistons, etc. You can also run it through the crank case but would need to change oil afterward.

I have "heard" from a guy that owns a recycling place say that a regular size bottle of rubbing alcohol in the tank will help you pass.....but I cannot verify any of that lol

To be honest....you are not "Close" to passing. One thing might be that high flow cat too...they are not as efficient for sure. Or was the car not hot when you smogged it? O2 OEM or aftermarket (like Bosch) I have a Bosch and the smog guy said he thinks the O2 takes longer to get to an optimal temp reading (but this was HIS 'theory')

I would get that motor hot as hell so the cat and O2 are ready to read and work efficiently.

+1 on the seafoam. excellent stuff. but as stated above, research how to use it in the intake before trying.
if you dont want to attempt it, put the whole bottle into the tank.
run the tank all the way down and burn about 1/4 of that tank.

also, you may not be driving the car long enough to get the cat and the engine hot enough. i had a problem with an old hatch of mine, put a new cat on and everything, wouldnt pass.
drove on the interstate (regular driving at the speed limit is sufficient, no hot rodding it) for about 20 to 30 min then went straight to the emissions place, passed no problem.
if you try to hot rod it (ie gunning it to get it hot faster) all you are going to do is dump unburned fuel into the exhaust, giving you the same issue.
keep the foot on the gas pedal light.

Back