E vs. Emissions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

go for a half hour ride before going to nmake sure the cat is super hot and 'catting' :)
Oh yeah - always and pull straight up to the dyno with it nice and hot. If I have to wait for my turn, I'll come back later......

doing this once i get the car re-wired. i failed on my last emissions test for the track car. (still have to drive to the track, so it has to stay registered) its weird, i got tested last year, with a cat, PASS no problem. go again this year, changed absolutely nothing, and i FAIL. not sure if it was the 105 degree heat that day, or old gas, not sure. but im going to run a tank of gas through it, let it get low, dump some alcohol in, and retest to pass.

:thumbsup: let us know the results

doing this once i get the car re-wired. i failed on my last emissions test for the track car. (still have to drive to the track, so it has to stay registered) its weird, i got tested last year, with a cat, PASS no problem. go again this year, changed absolutely nothing, and i FAIL. not sure if it was the 105 degree heat that day, or old gas, not sure. but im going to run a tank of gas through it, let it get low, dump some alcohol in, and retest to pass.

Curious as well to see how this works out.

What mods do you have on the track car?

rebuilt b18c motor
JDM ITR pistons
skunk2 stg2 cams
portflow headwork etc

just weird that i passed a year ago with the same mods and tune, but failed this year.

curious if CA will catch it like B16racer said.... i've got to go smog the Yota today.. it passed w/ flying colors 2 years ago and i've only put about 8k miles on it since.. wondering if i even need it.. i suppose i'll just try without.. if it fails, i'll try it

Well boys, I did the swap and haven't worked the TPS issue and got a ticket a couple of weeks ago for expired inspection sticker. Going to take a couple of weeks off work over the holidays and will fix it then and check MAP, cleanup wiring around ECU, etc. Also, going to weld a bracket on the back of the header just ahead of the collector.

Meanwhile, no reason for any more tickets. So, figuring it wouldn't pass anyway, and in anticipation of having to pass inspection, I put the cat back on and took it to the test station for a run on the emissions dyno. As expected, it failed the first attempt due to emissions. I'm thinking the engine is running open loop due to the TPS fault and CEL light being "on". The guy at the test station said on that old a car, the CEL didin't matter. Everything else was good except for emissions.

Knowing the engine is fresh and cat is new, I opted for some "injector cleaner" to see if that would get it to pass to give me my sticker now and a week or two of time (without any more $203 tickets) before I work the TPS CEL issue while on vacation. So, I picked up 2 gallons of Injector Cleaner at Home Depot and put it in on a near empty tank of gas.

Drove it straight back for a retest. It smelled like a Pro Mod car was up on the dyno. Was running 65-75% alcohol and a bit lean. Bogged a little when he sped it up on the dyno for the high speed test module.

New inspection sticker in the window - problem solved.

Injector Cleaner Used:

Denatured%20Alcohol.jpg

Failed Emissions test from last Friday:

Honda%20Emissions%202011%20A.jpg

Today's passed emissions test after use of Injector Cleaner:

Honda%20Emissions%202011%20B.jpg

Cleaned it right on up! Guess the injectors were just a little dirty.

Last edited:
you could have just come to san antonio. That's the only thing i like about this city. no emissions as $15 yearly safety inspection. WOOHOO!

^ Yes and no - the alcohol only cost me $33.00 and the trip to the nearby inspection Jiffy Lube was over inside of 30 minutes and the retest was free. :)

Back