B16a Engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

king_stu

Guys/Girls
i lost to a Type R at the weekend and this may never happen again! i'm running a stock B16a engine in a 97 hatchback civic (ek4). i'm looking at tuning the engine to 200bhp + N/A. can anyone give me a starting point. i would love to buy mugen or spoon but they are very expensive here in England. also (sorry about the and's) i would like to keep the exhaust quite, like stock. this is for good reasons so when i see the type R again he will go with me! :D

any help would be great. ;)

yes thats true but i really need the power all the time and not just for 10sec's. :D
but i do like your thinking 75 shot would be nice......

sorry i think i should make myself clear when i want 200bhp not 200whp,
i figure that with a hks exhaust + header + air intake i'll be at 180bhp with the ventrui plate from spoon, just short of 186bhp, using the aprexi vtec controller drop my vtec point to 3000 rpm and i should be good for 0-62 mph in about 6.7 give or take. <_<
would this be right?
i would like to use FI but the insurance prices in this country (england) are stupid... :angry:

dude, #1 is your car gutted? that should be the first thing you do, i would think a stock b16 in a gutted ek would be fast than a type R that has full interior. also if gutting isnt your thing, get CAI/H/E and cams, im pretty sure if u know how to drive u can take it. also, if u dont want loud exhaust, get bigger piping to a muffler and a smaller tip. I have a friend that has a b16a in a gutted ef, he only runs 15.3's b/c he is running stock exhaust, last week he changed it and went down to 15.05. get
2 1/4 " exhaust, with a nice muffler and your should be good. good luck. I beat my 1st type R a couple weeks ago, its funny to see their face when they see they are losing to a lame civic/CRX:)

I'm still waiting for my time to come for when i can beat the type R
Can anyone tell if the spec i listed would be good, no problems in reliablity etc,

HKS is easy to get hold of over here along with the aperix stuff (sorry about the spelling)
what would you guys rate?
i'm just after a complete sleeper... :worthy:

first off, i think you're trying to say apex-i. second, why in the world would you drop your vtec to 3000rpms? that's way too low.
*DISCLAIMER*-the following is all "IN MY OPINION".
it's lame to try to tune your motor to have 200hp at the engine, is it so you can brag and say it has 200. i don't think it matters how much power your engine has, it's how you can put that power to the ground.
plus, you shouldn't try to tune your car so you can beat a certain car in your neighborhood.

sorry, i'm just ranting... :rant:

More than likely 200hp wouldn't be enough anyway. The difference in the b18c5 and b16a3 is the torque curve. The ITR is just much stronger in the torque department. Without losing copius amounts of weight like said in a previous post, it won't happen. I'd go for the displacement edge. B20 vtec! It will cost about 5-7k to have it done, and your insurance (in jolly ol England) will be sky high, but what the hell. You'll never be beaten by a (stock) type R again!

the reason i say 200bhp is cos it's a figure to aim for. if you can't beat them, join 'em! :D
sorry when i say type R i mean the EK9 2.0L i-vtec.

so what everyone is saying, is that to get a B16a N/A too 200BHP is not possiable or be it very expensive to do? :(

oh and P.S. England is not that jolly! trust me..... ;)

I believe that I saw a couple dyno's back in the day with 1.6's with over 200WHP!!! Not sure if it was on god-speed's site or not.

Milan, but i know it can be done, IMHO

200 whp! good job! :D

i lost another race at the weekend this time to a VW polo mk3, thing was a G40 big time tuned! 1.3l superchargered running 13.6's it's quick! :eek:

Originally posted by king_stu@May 7 2003, 12:02 PM
sorry when i say type R i mean the EK9 2.0L i-vtec.

there is no such car.

the EK series never came with the EP series's motor.

200 whp out of a b16a is going to cost you a couple grand... maybe 3.

boost it, juice it, or get a b20 on the bottom end with 12:1 compression and complete head work.

200 HP from a B16A......well the Civic type R's are 185, but i highly doubt you ll get 200 from a B16 NA. especially being a 1.6L thats quite a feat. I agree you want torque of a B20 then let the revability of the V Tec head take over, you ll see the Type R in your Mirrors............. B) you can go as fast as you want, but the question is how much Money do you have?

Wow. 210whp from a B16A all motor is quite an achievement! Even 177whp on the stock pistons... that's pretty damn good.

or take that b16 head and put it on a b20 block.

my B16 put 171 to the wheels with a stock bottom end. high compression and wild cams should get you close to 200whp

Back