B16A S4C tranny GSR 5th gear

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRAZYEG9

What do you guys think about this set-up, because I see alot of people doing the LS 5th setup but I have a feeling your RPMs will drop too low with the LS tranny. From 8000rpms the GSR drops you to 5687rpms in 5th and the LS drops you to 5160rpms. Stock B16 drops you to 6128rpms Anybody that has felt either setup please explain how it feels

The B16 tranny will feel like it's revving higher to hold the same speed.

At 72 mph I'm holding about 4000-4100ish rpm in 5th gear, I don't really like that.

What does this pertain to, are you asking what you should do for better gas mileage on the highway or what?

Originally posted by 2000Si@May 13 2005, 10:17 PM
The B16 tranny will feel like it's revving higher to hold the same speed.

At 72 mph I'm holding about 4000-4100ish rpm in 5th gear, I don't really like that.

What does this pertain to, are you asking what you should do for better gas mileage on the highway or what?
[post=499032]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm asking what people will feel about the GSR 5th in a B16 tranny, instead of the LS 5th like most people do. I'm also asking if people have felt either set-up. I'm not asking about the stock B16 tranny as in your case cause I already know how that feels. My question is more for the Hybrid tranny.

Originally posted by 2000Si@May 13 2005, 10:17 PM

[post=499032]Quoted post[/post]​

I know the LS will give the best gas milage but I do want some pep when I switch from 4th to 5th, and I'm afraid the LS 5th might drop tolow for that pep.

Gotcha. I had a hard time trying to decipher exactly what you were asking. I've felt the LS tranny in 5th gear at 80 mph. It just feels like a lower RPM.

Really, you shouldn't actually need the pep in 5th gear. The powerband is just a drop to 4th away. The GSR 5th will wind out faster than the LS in any final.

Originally posted by 2000Si@May 13 2005, 10:25 PM
Gotcha. I had a hard time trying to decipher exactly what you were asking. I've felt the LS tranny in 5th gear at 80 mph. It just feels like a lower RPM.

Really, you shouldn't actually need the pep in 5th gear. The powerband is just a drop to 4th away. The GSR 5th will wind out faster than the LS in any final.
[post=499036]Quoted post[/post]​

Na brah I'm not asking about stock trannies, I'm asking about hybrid trannies. B16 with an LS 5th or GSR 5th. How does it feel when you switch from 4th to 5th with these set-ups

I knew that. :p

With the numbers you gave it should give you a hint... the LS will feel more sluggish since you drop more RPMs. But as for how it physically feels, I don't know.

Originally posted by 2000Si@May 13 2005, 10:37 PM
I knew that. :p

With the numbers you gave it should give you a hint... the LS will feel more sluggish since you drop more RPMs. But as for how it physically feels, I don't know.
[post=499041]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks, anyone know how it physically feels? and what motor was the tranny bolted to when you felt either hybrid set-up?

Back