B16a2 Into An Obd1 Eg Civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

simonc

We have just transplanted a B16a2 into a non vtec 1993 EG civic hatch. We're using a 1993 obd1 P30 ecu which fitted straight on to our harness. The engine works fine and starts first time.
Problem is wiring up the VTEC. We ran the wire from the VTEC solenoid to the correct pin on the ECU, however the ECU requires a wire for the VTEC oil pressure switch. Our engine does not have the seperate green oil pressure switch (Honda advises on later generation engines like ours the oil pressure is incorporated in the VTEC solenoid and only one wire runs to the ECU)
Can anyone advise what needs to be done to get round this. The check engine light is on and VTEC will not engage.
We have the engines original ECU, but this does not fit our harness.
Please help!!!!

Hello simonc,A word of advice post questions one time in the correct forum and they will get answered.This is the third time I've seen this thread in as many forums,it angers the mods who try to keep this place organized so it is easy to find your way around.As far as your question I've never installed a b16a2 from a 99-00 civic into a older car,so I'm not sure,maybe a jumper harness.I'm sure some one will answer you,just give it more than a few minutes ok.

the vtec solenoid should go into pin a4 and the vtec pressure goes into pin d6.. you will need the green plug that goes to the vtec pressure switch....i dont know where you will get it but when you do the blue wire goes to the pin and the black goes to ground.....after that vtec should work....any more question ask me for i done this same swap to mine...

Thanks Longlee.
Did your B16a2 come with the oil pressure switch? Ours didn't and Honda advise that on these engines all vtec controls run off the solenoid and no oil pressure switch is needed. The problem is not a case of a missing switch, but the fact that Honda never put the switch on the engine!! The thread is there, but there is no hole- if we must put one on, then we'll have to drill the hole in the block- which I really don't wanna do!

all b16a2 motors should come with the oil pressure switch....i dont know how yours dont have it....honda screwed you over....are you sure it is a b16a2 head..or is it a conversion swap....

Originally posted by simonc@Jan 21 2003, 10:59 AM
Thanks Longlee.
Did your B16a2 come with the oil pressure switch? Ours didn't and Honda advise that on these engines all vtec controls run off the solenoid and no oil pressure switch is needed. The problem is not a case of a missing switch, but the fact that Honda never put the switch on the engine!! The thread is there, but there is no hole- if we must put one on, then we'll have to drill the hole in the block- which I really don't wanna do!

Take a picture and post it.

All is sorted after running a wire from the pressure switch pin to the solenoid pin on the ecu.
You guys should know that all B16a2, and other later generation B16a's do NOT have vtec oil pressure switchs on the head, the signal is sent from the single wire at the spool valve.

Back