b16a2 or b18c...?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

evo8

ok, heres what i wanna do.
i have a 95 civic coupe and i wanna put eigher a b16 or a b18 in it. i wanna be able to get 400+whp from my turbo. that brings another question up, if i got the b18 what turbo kit would be the best for it (or custom). some question for the b16.

if i got the b16 is it worth putting in a stroker kit in it to put the displacement up to about 1.8L or sould i just go with the b18 and turbo that?

b18c1, 9.5:1 pistons, forged rods, head work, exhaust/cai, turbo kit= 400 hp plus extra torque over that of a b16.

yeah thats what i wanted to do. i just wanted to nkow if that was a good idea or what. thanks man

i'm thinkin I might do that too...founda b16 block for the cost of shipping though...so I dunno...

b16 is still a great platform for turbo.
If you're shooting for 400whp you're gonna want to get it sleeved anyway. Having a b16 bored out to 84mm will help. :)

but a 1.8L will do it with less boost; less boost=less lag. a resleeved b16 will only be 1.7L; while a resleeved b18 will be 2.0L no replacement for displacement.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@May 23 2004, 07:56 PM
but a 1.8L will do it with less boost; less boost=less lag. a resleeved b16 will only be 1.7L; while a resleeved b18 will be 2.0L no replacement for displacement.

that makes no sense to me...i'm confused by that statement...

but if you bore and stroke a B16 you can get it to b18, but as B told me once you can never truly get a B16 to B18 specs as the B16 is a shorter block.

Its retarded to bore and stroke a b16 to a b18, because you could just start out with a b18.

I would choose the b18 because you need the extra torque, seeing as how your car weighs quite a bit....compared to a crx :D. However, remeber that with too much base torque all you're going to do is spin your tires. Read the IB guy's article on turbo b16s, its really good and insightful.

Originally posted by ktanaka@May 24 2004, 02:10 AM
Its retarded to bore and stroke a b16 to a b18, because you could just start out with a b18.

So, is it retarded to bore a B18 to 2.0? What about boring a B20 to 2.2? No, if that's what you got then work with it.

The B16 will be a fine platform for turbo. if it's a street car, you'll have enough torque to fry your street tires with a boosted B16 anyway. You should get your B16 block sleeved and bored to 84mm and i that will put you somewhere around 1.74 liters.

with everything stock in an a2, 6.01 PR3 piston dish, 42.70 combustion chamber, borexstroke at 84x77.4 you'd have a 1.72 L motor with a 10.8:1 compression...not a good CR for a turbo.

wtf mate?

Uhhh... with an 84mm bore, you won't be using PR3 pistons, lol. Just get some 9.8:1 IB spec pistons and IB spec rods and make a shitload of power on just like, 10-12psi.

I didn't say you'd be using the PR3 pistons, I said if you'd be using the 6.01 PR3 piston DISH.

Ahhh, sorry. Hangovers arent exactly conducive to reading.

thanks for the help... but now i need to know what kinda turbo would be nice for the b18 that i will purchase in the near future. :p :)

Back