B16a2 swap into eg sedan "no start" after 550miles

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Vtec Sedan

1993 honda civic dx sedan
1999 honda civic si b16a2 swap
Obd1

Put motor in after rebuilding it
Ran fine no issues no CEL till 550miles (problems listed below) still no codes.

Okay so I have been having some starting issues, turn key to on position engine light goes off and then go to crank it don't do nothing but when I let the key go back to the on position.
The main relay starts clicking, the spedo goes crazy up and down and then after that goes on for a couple seconds it re primes the fuel pump ready to crank again.

I have tried replacing main relay with new one, took starter off had it tested came back good, tested all fuses with test light, checked all engine grounds like thermo housing, and I have spark, correct fuel pressure "when the pump primes."
I can still pop start my can and it run fine, but the only issue is when I do that is that the temp gauge with move in sync with the rpm gauge from normal operating temp being idle to about 3000 it reaches the top hot mark. I know it's not over heating because at idle the temp is normal and it will stay normal no matter how long it sits idling.
Checked battery with load tester,
Battery tests good. Noticed I filled my tank from quarter to full, I didn't have to pop start it after refueling. Could a fuel pump cause the symptoms I'm experiencing?

I have no idea what to check Next
Please any direction will help any feedback. I have never had a issue like this with a honda. I have done multiple swaps in the past. First time having to search out help on forms. Thanks for your time.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    666.9 KB · Views: 481
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 650
Hmm don't have access to one currently, but car is oddly still running and starting fine since filling up from under quarter. I'll keep updated if problem persists after tank drops

Given the odd frequency, and weird signal crossing of some wires. There's no other logical reason why a temp gauge would move in sync with your tach. Trace your wires for some frayed or not so perfect connections, missing insulation, etc.

Will do thanks for the reply, was worried the forms were dead for Hondas haven't seen much activity. Will keep updated car has just started doing this issue again sadly.

Hills have been my best friends lately lol, currently car is starting, I'm thinking maybe starter relay possibly? Or clutch petal ground? Anyone have similar issues?

if the clutch switch were bad, it wouldn't even try to crank/click. basically nothing would happen when you turned the key. Still doesn't explain your electrical gremlins of your rpm water meter either.

True, I've been looking into wiring diagrams I don't even see where rpm and temp cross other then 2 seperate connecters in the back of cluster, is there a ground for the cluster, that maybe I should check? Possible cluster issue? Just brain storming for when it happens again, so I can test something's while the problem is occurring.

It could be the cluster, but if i were a betting man, i'd say its a wire, not the cluster. The cluster takes a harness just like anything else, so perhaps a wire at the harness is loose/shredded/exposed and arching or something too.
do you have any other ecu's lying around? even the oem d-series should start the car without damaging it

Back