B16A2 Turbo- High Oil Temp

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jignesh

Hi Guys,

Have swapped a B16A2 into a Honda City in India and have Turbo Charged it. There is another thread on the engine details at below link

https://hondaswap.com/hybrid-gd/honda-city-b16a-swap-135460/

I have the following problems in my car and would like your help in identifying the same.

1> Oil Consumption(approx .5ltrs/500kms)
2> High Oil Temp ( goes to 250 F within 10 minutes of driving under low boost) & 235F within 10 minutes of normal driving.

Have already checked for oil leakages in the following areas a> under car b> valve cover, c> head gasket, d>turbo. There is no visible leak anywhere. Have even opened the head to inspect the block for worn out rings. All OK compression is 220.(the block is stock)

I now intend to do up the same to run higher boost and have planned the following

1> JE Low Compression forged pistons 9:1
2> Eagle Knife Edged Lightweight Crank
3> Crower H-Beam rods
4> Clevite Bearings
5> Darton M.I.D. Sleeve(yet to decide)
6> Oil Cooler

Is there any precaution that I need to take and what boost can I run safely assuming I use OE sleeves.

Would appreciate your inputs.

Regards,

Jignesh

How did you check the turbo for leaks? Did you just look all around it with it installed, or did you take it off the car and disassemble it?

Hi,

I had physically dismantled the turbo to check for leaks.

Jignesh

how large is the hole in the oil feed into your turbo? if its to small the oil could be cooking inside your turbo

wow... that oil has to travel uphill over half of the engine, then wrap around and go back into the valve cover (i'm assuming?) well that's your problem there. you need the drainback to be downhill, with a fitting drilled/welded into your oilpan. that oil is backing up in that return line and the turbo is cooking it. and the diameter is likely a little small too. but that's the least of your worries.

Last edited:
omg if that copper line is returnig ur oil lol good luk with that... its supposed to be gravity fed bak to ur oil pan...

check out project cars mag of the 2 hondas swappn motors and turbo. they show how to drill the pan and hook up a 8inch hose to the turbo

Yeah, your oil eventually leaves the turbo, but that needs to be fixed asap.Like everyone else said the oil should flow down into the oil pan, unless you want to stick an electric oil pump in the copper line. I don't even know where you could get something like that.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for not updating the thread. Had made a mistake the copper coloured line(now replaced) was actually the feed line. Have also finished the upgrade as listed in the opening post and with the new build my problem seems to be solved. The car is now putting out 230 WHP @12psi tuned for daily driving on 87 Octane fuel.

At present Oil Temps are between 180-190*F and go upto 210-220*F under boost over prolonged durations. Can installing a radiator from a Auto Transmission which has a oil cooling line reduce the oil temperatures or do I need to go in for a oil cooler only. My mech said that excahanging the radiators should help.

What do you guys have to say to this idea.

Jignesh

Hi Guys,

At present Oil Temps are between 180-190*F and go upto 210-220*F under boost over prolonged durations. Can installing a radiator from a Auto Transmission which has a oil cooling line reduce the oil temperatures or do I need to go in for a oil cooler only. My mech said that excahanging the radiators should help.

Jignesh

There is nothing wrong with those oil temps. So I would suggest not doing any oil coolers or anything like that.

Back