B16b (civic Type R) Engine Into My 5g

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

integracivic94

Hello im in england and we do not have many clued up people on honda! so here goes i want to put a b16b engine into my 5g which has a (d16z6) i think i am going to need an obd2 conversion??? could anyone tell what this entails?

yes, the b16b is a wonderful motor, you wont be disappointed. you can still run it as obdI and should just drop right in. i've never done an obdII swap into a 5th gen, but i know its easy enough to do. someone will post up more details. but, great choice on the motor, i'm jealous :)

B was saying that the type R engines are actually plugged OBD I,if I understood it right.According to that it should go in with your original system.But why spend the extra on a type R motor,when you can build a faster one for less.

i had the same swap. u need to run a obd1 to obd2 ecu jumper if u plan on using the ctr ecu. u need to use the obd2 wire harness as well, it will plug into the eg chasis harness. if ur car was non-vtec u need to wire a vtec wire and u also need to wire a knock sensor wire. its all pretty easy.

and regarding R motors...good power and reliable, straight from the factory. no hassles or waiting to get one built. and building ones arent that much cheaper, more expensive in some cases

Originally posted by chris@Feb 28 2003, 01:25 AM
and regarding R motors...good power and reliable, straight from the factory. no hassles or waiting to get one built. and building ones arent that much cheaper, more expensive in some cases

Um,I don't see 15 hp being worth an extra $1700 other than being able to say "I got a type R motor".And a B16A is just as reliable as a B16B.

Werd, but to even consider a type r motor, your budget has to be pretty loose and you would just be wanting to say, "I have a Type R motor." If your gonna swap a B16B, you might as well swap a B18C1 and build it up.

I remember Brian sayin somethin bout the type R motors actually being OBD1, like you have to take off a wire of something? Anyone know how that works?

The Type R motors are obd2, but use obd1 electronics. That is what B said to me in an IM the other night.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Feb 27 2003, 07:29 PM-->
@Feb 28 2003, 01:25 AM
and regarding R motors...good power and reliable, straight from the factory.  no hassles or waiting to get one built.  and building ones arent that much cheaper, more expensive in some cases

Um,I don't see 15 hp being worth an extra $1700 other than being able to say "I got a type R motor".And a B16A is just as reliable as a B16B.

if we are talking b16b and b16a i can agree with that point for sure. i swapped back down to a b16a. :p but itr might be a different story. it also depends on wut u want it for. i am used to dealing with having to have a 100% OEM motor. so the obvious choice would be an R motor most of the time. thats also why spoon motors cost so damn much even tho they are completely stock. and some ppl just want to put it in an be done with it.

The ITR I can live with,since your getting more,but I still think they are too pricey. :D

A little off topic, but I don't want to start a new thread on it. Do you guys think Honda motors will like run out? Cause I'm already startin to hear some places saying that "since the oem honda motors are becoming more rare" and shyt like that so they tack on a few extra hundred, what do you guys think?

I doubt it,there are millions of them produced over the last 14 years in countries around the world.People don't even import from here (Europe) yet really.The numbers of low milage ones,of course will,but overall I doubt it.

another question? will the b16b tranny work on my 5g civic? wondering cos the gearstick is mounted in the dash!!! reading all your reply's to my previous question it sounds like a b16b swap will be fairly easy! already have the wires for the vtec! just got to get my head around the obd stuff! i think i will the first i this country to do such a converson!!!! :)

No it isn't.That is only in the newer civics,the B16B came in the 96-00 type R with normal shifter.

still needing advice on the b16b swap! need any info on obd conversion's and tranny's! i need someone to bore me to death with as many details as possible!!!

Nah, that motor is good, as long as you wire your harness for vtec, then you should be good, you can also use the transmission, it's not a dash shifter though, that is only the 2002+ Civic SI's. The 1996-[/U]2001 Honda Civic Type R's are normal transmissions with normal shifters. Make sure you got the stock B16B mounts, if not you can use other B Series mounts.

The stock b16b mounts wont work. You need all 3 teg mounts from a 94-95 (probably more yrs there, but hey!)

The motor is obd2 and the car is obd1.. the ctr motor's i THINK are wired obd2, but use obd1 electronics. E is doing one (well itr into a del sol), he will fill you in on what needs to be done in the wiring department.

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Feb 28 2003, 04:45 PM
The stock b16b mounts wont work. You need all 3 teg mounts from a 94-95 (probably more yrs there, but hey!)

None of em? I thought you just had to replace the tranny one but the two upper mounts work.

Originally posted by TRuggiero_+Feb 28 2003, 04:47 PM-->
Domeskilla
@Feb 28 2003, 04:45 PM

None of em? I thought you just had to replace the tranny one but the two upper mounts work.

Brian told me one night it was.

5th gen = all teg

6th gen = teg tranny and side motor and 99-00si rear motor

There might be more, but that is what i go off of. :)

Back