B16b Vs. B18c5. 98 Civic Lx 4dr 5spd

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wutnot

:spin: I have a Honda Civic LX 4dr, 5spd, stock engine and I want to upgrad to a B16B or a B18C5. I do not see any reason to go with the B18C5 besides the 10 horses and a lighter wallet.

I am insterested in people's opinions. I am a newbie to this and want to make a good decision as far a further upgradability.

1. Are additional engine mount needed?
2. Can I swap either of these engines without any further customizations?
3. Suggestion for the best places to purchase the equipment.

Thanks in advance for your input.

David

The ITR will stomp the CTR's balls.Don't waste the money,the B18C5 is a hella better deal for the cash,better motor,better tranny,more power,more torque(gonna be happier with it in that LX),just better.Swapping it in will be the same as the other B's.You need the mounts,axles shiftlinkage,ecu.

What yr civic? if you have a 5th gen (92-95), you can use teg mounts. If its a 6th gen (96-00 01?) you use teg side mounts and 99-00 Civic Si rear mount.

The CTR intake cam is better and the pistons are higher CR (i think). SO, get the ITR, change cam to CTR intake and other things, if you want, get CTR pistons. www.hmotorsonline.com has them OEM brand new for 185 shipped, get rings and you are set.

Thanks for your posts I appreciate the info.

It is a 1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr 5spd.

-92b16vx- I thought the B16B is a less expensive engine?
How much all together would you gestimate for the engine, mounts,axles shiftlinkage,ecu?
Does the engine come with the ecu?
So it does need a new engine mount and axles shiftlinkage?

The b16b is like 4000 or so and that is cheaper then the ITR, yes. The reason why i think the ctr is a waste is because you can raise hp like crazy, but tq isn't so easy to come by. So, the 22 lbs more the ITR has over the CTR, i think its worth the ~1200-1500 more for the ITR. ITR's can be had for 4650 (96-97) and ~5500 (98-00). The difference between the 96-97 and 98-00 is: 96-97 - FD is 4.40 and has a 4-2-1 header. 98-00 - FD is 4.785 and has 4-1 header.

ctr = 185hp 118tq

itr = 195hp 130tq

Yes, only 10 more hp, but tq is what moves a car.

For NA, get the ITR and for boost (turbo) go anything but ITR or CTR.

Yes, a complete swap should have the engine, tranny, ecu, wiring, axles, mounts (oem mounts) and linkages.

You need to use Teg tranny and side engine mount and a 99-00 Civic Si Rear mount to mount a b-series into your car. The shift linkage can just be one from a b16a2 (99-00si) or you might be able to use the ctr/itr one, i am not 100% sure.

That is a bit steep, how much do you think I might get for my engine? It is a D16Y7 with 27k.

I want to go with the B18C5, that sounds like what best choice from what I have been reading.
When changing the engine what else should be looked at or upgraded at that point?
Might as well do the clutch, short shifter and cool air intake etc.

Is there no possible way to get a new engine directly from Honda?

Hmotorsonline has the B16B listed as $3900 and the B18C type R at $4700,both complete, plus tax (if in CA) and shipping and handling.Also doesn't the ITR have a superior tranny,combine the torque and that and it is worth the extra $800,IMO.

Originally posted by wutnot@Feb 13 2003, 03:08 PM
That is a bit steep, how much do you think I might get for my engine? It is a D16Y7 with 27k.

I want to go with the B18C5, that sounds like what best choice from what I have been reading.
When changing the engine what else should be looked at or upgraded at that point?

New ITR long block from Honda (don't know if the stateside dealers can even order them) is $5700 and the tranny is $2500,then you add everything else to put it in a car and get it runnning and your looking at around $9000 .These prices are from the dealer here in Germany about six months ago and don't reflect currency exchange rate (they are in euro)

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Feb 13 2003, 09:08 AM
Hmotorsonline has the B16B listed as $3900 and the B18C type R at $4700,both complete tax and shipping and handling.Also doesn't the ITR have a superior tranny,combine the torque and that and it is worth the extra $800,IMO.

The ITR tranny is the best to get. More specifically, the 98-00 itr tranny is the one to get.

To add, hmotorsonline's prices do not include shipping and handling.

Originally posted by wutnot@Feb 13 2003, 09:08 AM

People basically give away d-series engins, but since that one is decently new. I would say 500 for complete swap.

If you are staying NA, go with the ITR, if you want boost then look else where.

Honda can get barnd new motors, even USDM Honda dealers can. They get USDM spec'd motors though. I am not sure they can/will order JDM engines for you.

When changing the engine, its ideal to change the timing belt, water pump, all fluids and clutch.

Thanks for you input guys. This sounds like a good place to start.
Crazy though, for the amount of dough it will cost to do this, I could just
buy a new car.
But I like my ride and will be real happy once this is done.

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Feb 13 2003, 03:15 PM

To add, hmotorsonline's prices do not include shipping and handling.

Yea I've been trying to edit my post and it keeps popping up the same as it was before :wtf:

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Feb 13 2003, 09:38 AM
Yea I've been trying to edit my post and it keeps popping up the same as it was before :wtf:

fixed it for you :)

Can I put a K20A engine in a honda civic lx 1998 car?

Originally posted by wutnot@Feb 14 2003, 11:33 PM

read the faq.. it will cost around 10g's to get it in there. The motor sits on the opposite side of the car.

Originally posted by wutnot@Feb 14 2003, 11:33 PM

if you throw enough money at it anything can be done ... will it be worth it is a different question... IMO its not

Back