B18 Homemade Turbo Parts List?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

beau_safken

Howdy guys.

I'm just weighing my options when it comes to eventually turboing my B18B1. I intend to use it for racing at tracks and the occasional races at Bandimere. I am wanting to know what parts will work to make a turbo setup for my engine. I realize this is a pretty general question but if you guys could steer me in the right direction or give me a good link to an FAQ that would really help me out. I want to make a custom setup because I don't want a boxed setup and I can also get the parts as I find them. Thanks ahead of time fellas. :worthy:

I agree- do it peice by peice.

you need:

turbo
manifold w/ flange
waste gate
BOV
intercooler
piping
downpipe 3"
couplings
oil feed line
oil return line
tapped oil pan fitting in proper place
3" hi-flow cat
3" cat back
injectors depending on your size/boost
HONDATA s200/b
boost guage
EGT guage
a/f guage (not a gay one that lights up and goes back and forth- a real one that is incremeneted to like 18:1 for a/f ratio)
other guages are good to have.. oil pressure/temp, water, etc
DYNO TIME with a TUNER and wideband

Thanks B. Do you know if the high altitude of Colorado would screw with any of my potential choices of turbos? I have heard that turbos get a little lean up here in the mile high city.

I think youll be fine, turbos were first developed for airplanes so that they could operate as if they were at sea level when they were flying at a few thousand feet on bombing runs. The exhaust gasses will flow accross the turbine faster when pushing against the relatively thin atmosphere wherever you are.

at higher alt. you need boost. basically, higher you go, the less air there is. so, what do you want- more air. hello and welcome to turbos :)

Pardon my ignorance but could I run more boost in Denver than I would be able to in lets say LA. I was kinda looking into it and it kind of seems that way.

no- not really.
fact is, air is thinner.
when you boost, you not only create more DENSE air, i/e more air per volume of it from the turbo, but it is pushed in at a hgher rate- i/e psi.

basically, your psi rate is still the same- but its the AMOUNT of AIR that matters, not the psi.

Ahhh I think I am beginning to understand now. So a small turbo would have to run at a higher PSI to match the power of a larger turbo at a lower PSI if we are thinking about output. I think I am gonna have to read up a lot more than I have to be able to understand it better. Hey, If I can learn how to hybrid a civic and now I think that it is trival...Why couldn't I do the same for turbos. Besides if I am gonna make a homemade one..I better know my shit I guess. :D

Back