b18a1 into 5th gen civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

agp1183

hi, i have a 92 civic cx and a b18a1 block and head. I plan on turboing it in the future.

Will I be able to use OEM mounts that fit correctly? if so, which ones?

Will 94+ integra LS parts work on my swap since it is OBD1? Or are there differences in the block and head?

Can i put a turbo exhaust manifold and exhaust system on without the turbo?(is there a way to cover up the turbo outlet?)

Any things to keep in mind as I build this engine?

thanks for your help! :)

IMO, its not worth the hassel. just use a b18b and it will 99% bolt right in.
the b18a will need to be modified, the tranny won't work or mount up, etc etc... you can score a b18b for like a couple hundred more than the A, so there's really no good reason to use the A

Can i put a turbo exhaust manifold and exhaust system on without the turbo?(is there a way to cover up the turbo outlet?)

are you serious?

SELL IT, buy a complete B18B swap...

plug and play, and it has the right tranny...

or go and get all the shit off a b18b and just use the b18a as a bare block... but thats kind stoopid too...

What's the problem with the b18a. Lot's of franks are built on it, are they not. Thought all transmissions that fit b series blocks fit all b series blocks.

Originally posted by uberdog@Jun 19 2005, 06:57 PM
What's the problem with the b18a. Lot's of franks are built on it, are they not. Thought all transmissions that fit b series blocks fit all b series blocks.
[post=514054]Quoted post[/post]​

first issue is if its not from a 92 or 93 its OBD-0 (pain in the balls to wire up correctly.... lots of wasted $$$$$)
second issue is that it has a cable actuated clutch and the EG has a hydraulic actuated clutch (more wasted money for a conversion kit)

basicly it can work.... but in the end after all the shit that has to be converted or changed it will probly cost close to what a GSR swap would have

basicly it comes down to lots of wiring bullshit and lots of wasted time/money

If it's 92-93 get a hydraulic tranny, and treat it as if it were a B18B. I don't know where everyone is finding these B1's for a couple hundred more than A1's, everywhere I look they are the same price as a B16A.

thats cuz youre in germany where they dont really get the B1s (everything is either a B16 or a B18C).... in CT i could go right now to any junkyard and get a complete B18B1, with everything needed for the swap, for no more than $1000... if all i needed was the engine then probly somewhere around 600

they are everywhere

We don't have B18A/B's at all :) Only Integras here are ITR's, oh yea. I was refering more to online prices, sure in a yard you can find great deals :p

buying an LS swap online is like taking a hooker fishing....

if you don't know that joke, that probably doesn't make any sense.

you can use the B18A, it will work exactly the same way as the B18B would. just use a OBD1 distributor, OBD1 injectors and OBD1 ECU. since your car is already OBD1, you should be fine. the only thing that makes a motor any specific OBD is the dizzy, ecu and injectors.

put a hydro tranny on it, since all Bseries trannies bolt up to all Bseries motors. just get the right clutch for the tranny, not the engine. flywheels are interchangeable.

Considering that a different distributor, injectors, ECU and transmission could easily cost as much as just buying an entire OBD1 engine (all you're missing now is the cheapo block and head), you might as well just buy the engine and sell the A1.

Back