B18b Pricing - 714 Area Especially - Urgent

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

zymotix2003

For b18b with auto tranny into 95 lx civic auto. Please leave out the auto tranny bashing, I just want some straight answers. I've been price shopping around my area (714, Southern California), and the figure I'm coming up with is from $3800 to $4800 for the whole swap, labor included. Is this about the right price or am I being raped in the arses for it? I was told that the B18B is a very common engine and that they are not very desirable, and that they shouldn't be very costly. I have a second question, but i need to see the responds I'm getting for this first. For those who have done swap in the 714 area and knows a place, please let me know. I need reponds urgently. Thanks.

3800-4800??? :blink: :blink: Wow, that is a lot for a B18B1. I got my LS swap for 1200 for the engine and 600 for the install...Like under 2300 for the whole thing... I'm in Colorado so those are VERY rare around here but still. For that price you should be getting the B18C5.

that's what i thought. i gave it benefit of the doubt with assumption that maybe in california the price is different, but i highly doubt that. anyone from 714 area with a place i consider looking into? most of the area suggested by shop locator is far out of reach, and they don't stock b18b auto tranny.

Use the search button...Lots of good info...Just need to find it. :thumbsup:

That is too much money, and just to warn you the b18b is going to be less than spectacular mated with that auto. Why do you think they are hard to find?

It may be because demand is so high in cali these days

my actual reason to swap is because the stock d15 had 3 blown head gaskets, and 2 transmission replaced. The third transmission replacement is coming up, as the 1st gear is already beginning to slip. Although my transmission is still under warranty so i wont be charged for a replacement, but i am so sick and tired of all the problems going on with it. In addition, coolant is leaking out of the engine. I dont want to have to fix craps on this 210k engine anymore. That is the actual incentive to my swap.

Since I'm going to waste my pell grant on this, it might as well be something faster and more reliable. I'm choosing b18b because of the future possibility of going turbo. Yes I know the auto tranny will cause power lose, but that isn't a matter of choice. My parents will need it over emergency problems (yes its my car, I pay for my own insurance and car payments). I'm actually considering doing the swap myself, of course, with the help of some knowledgeable people in the 714 area (but this is the last resort as I know diddly swat about swap except what has already been stated in the forums - nothing beat seeing the installation in your own eyes - anyone willing to help? I will probably pay you for your help on this swap if it comes down to that).

i can temporarily fix the coolant leakage and bring the car back to the tranny shop to fix the tranny, which would last me another 3 or 4 months before the bandages fall off again, which would by then provide me another pell grant check to amount to $4000 in total (assuming I dont waste this semester's grant) to do the swap. But then again, why waste more money fixing the coolant problem and trouble of replacing another tranny if I can do the swap now. So this is why I am urgently looking for these 714 shops and b18b with auto tranny.

Ok thats enough...

Let me start by telling you that Honda/Acura automatic trannies are not made for going fast, racing or much of anything aside from grocery getters. If you are serious about wanting to do your project right...Convert to a manual. I understand you dont want to get picked on for wanting an auto but too bad. If you blew thru two trannies maybe you should look at your driving habits...I'm guessing your as hard on the throttle as you have been to your engine. Get a auto to manual conversion and do the proper swap for your style of driving. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until your next round of pell grants to fix a problem you could have avoided.

yes, I've secretly been wishing for a manual, that way, the car is all to myself and my parents wont drive it around when they can't use theirs, and I have asked around for prices on the manual as well. it cost as much as $4000 for a manual, i've been told with several shops around here. I'm still waiting for inlinefour for the price quote for the manual. what you said about the second wave of pell grants, that would be my third option, to gain enough money for the auto swap. Now i'm considering manual, since I really want to get this swap done now, but i'm limited to $1,987. Should this b18b manual fit into this budget? I know they are falching me up the arses, but if it fits within the range, i wont mind. What should i expect to hear from shops regarding the cost?

even if you geta sweet deal and do the labor yourself it won't make that budget. My swap itself was about $1475 for everything plus some mounts, and random stuff and a clutch I spent like $2300+ without labor

so i'm heading for a temporary fix on the coolant leak which i would hope cost less than $100 (not a head gasket problem), and a transmission replace for free (still under warantty), and just sit back and wait for the next pellies then, as it seems most fitting. Who knows, I may just be able to grab a hold of a b18c1 or c5 by then :) not too bad, since there's only a month left of this school semester to be over. still, guess i'll just have to continue shopping around and get everything prepare for that eventual swap. thank you all for your replies, especially to salfken who had been around since the beginning of my thread.

;) NP bro, My pleasure. IF I were you I would stick around this forum for a while and search around for all the little questions you might think of. Trust me, when it comes to swapping an engine if you knew more than your mechanic if you use one...The better. Thank god all I needed was for my mechanic to drop in the engine because of my lack of a engine houst. REad, Read and Read some more. You might get another idea of what you want and also it will give you A LOT more ability to bargain because of your increased knowledge regarding engine swaps. Check out my thread just below this one...I did the B18B1 so I can help ya if you need some help, Over email that is...LOL :lol:

Back