B18b1 oil/water pump

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HatchSpeeD

...Hi...
Before my engine gets put in my car, i'd like to change things such as timing belt/water pump etc while its sitting in my house. I know I need to get a helms still, but basically I heard about people putting GS-R/Type-R water pumps or oil pumps (not too sure) on the b18b's.

My question is, can I use the oil/water pump from those engines and if so, is there any real benefit and why. Or should I just stick with factory LS stuff because it doesn't do anything or they won't fit?

Thanks in advance B)

Unless you have done something that would require the higher flow rate of the ITR oil pump you don't need to use it. It will go on with no other changes. You would have to run a different timing belt to run a GSR water pump. This is not necessary (I would even say not reccomended) if you are keeping the stock LS redline.

lsvtec and I have went over this, becuase I thought since the ITR adn GSR oil/water pumps flowed more it would you know lube and cool the motor better,w ell why do that when the stock LS shit works just fine. Just stick with the LS stuff.

Eventually I wanted to boost, but I figured it wouldn't make a difference. Thanks again.

Question, what if after I do my swap I wanted to boost down the line and possibly upgrade my valvetrain for higher revs, will it be a better idea to upgrade the water/oil pumps to gsr/R?

The GSR water pump flows less at lower RPM which is why you don't want to use it with the stock LS redline. It is designed to handle higher revs without cavitating. If you plan on spinning the LS engine to 8000RPM (not really necessary under boost) then you could look into the VTEC water pump.

I wouldn't go crazy about gettting an R oil pump right away. When you need to replace yours do it with the R unit.

Back