B18C5 Max WHP Possible

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jignesh

Hi Guys,

Got a question for the experts out there. How much WHP can you extract from a Normally Aspirated B18C5 swapped into a 1994 EG8 chassis keeping it streetable and running on 91 Oct pump gas.

I am based out of Bombay India and would like to build the above motor here keeping in mind the above criteria in bold. My goal is to achieve a really fats street car which I can take to the drag strip as well. Am prepared to spend $$ and need your advice on what needs to go into the build and what HP I should realistically expect.

Is it possible to achieve a 12 sec qtr mile timing.

Was suggested the following

1> JE forged pistons +40 10:1 Compression
2> Eagle Rods
3> Clevite Bearings
4> Skunk2 Tuner 2 Cams with upgraded valve train
5> 48 mm ITB's
6> Stand Alone ECU
7> Stage 3 Clutch

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jignesh

10:1 pistons is lower than stock 11:1 thats just stupid to lower compression when you're after power. You probably want to go to 12:1 as a max on pump gas.
the rods won't matter... you won't be making enough torque to snap them.
itb's and stage2 cams don't mix either. you'll need a serious cam to get anything out of itb's. In fact, they are such a pain in the ass to tune, you'll probably make more power without itb's.

you can easily go 12's with a c5 motor in an eg, but your build will not get you there.

If you really want to run 12s in a sedan (think that's what the EG8 is) then you'll probably want to go large bore and high compression- minimum 84mm bore, 86mm if you're not worried about having to keep the block for a rebuild. 12:1 compression minimum, very aggressive cams to take advantage of the compression, port work on the head, tune tune tune!

Guys,

Thanks for all the prompt replies. One more noob question what is the best way to increase the compression if I have already purchased the pistons by mistake. The exact Part no that I have is JE 242876. Will shaving the head and block address the issue, if so then by how much each is to be shaved.

The work will be carried out by a professional and not me if its any help.

Fortunately have not yet bought the cams so advice on those also pls.

Thanks,

Jignesh

Milling the head will offer a little gain in compression, but it also means you can't run a huge cam without hitting the pistons. You should try to return them or re-sell them, because they aren't a part you want to use at all for an all motor build.

What cam you should use relies on what piston and compression you end up using.

When compression you end up using depends on your tuning solution, as 91 octane doesn't give you much headroom for error.

and so on...

it's all one big system.

HI,

Ok if I order new pistons can you suggest to me a part no as I already have bored the block to 82mm. I could not find the appropriate part no on the site. If not assuming I am using the stock cams how much can I mill both the head & the block using the low comp pistons I have.

Will I be able to regain the OE compression by this method or exceed it.

The block is being sleeved as I type(its 10.00am here) and will be honed during the day. I need to take a call now for the builder to either mill the head/block and use the pistons I have or hold on till i order new pistons.

Jignesh

Hold until you get new pistons. Milling the head with those pistons (or block) will not get you back to stock CR.

Back