B20 Sol

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Slow&Delirious

isn't fast or furious
Its not uncommon to do a B16, B18, ect. swap, but im wanting to do something diffrent. I am wanting to swap a B20 (CR-V i assume) I have a 95' del sol S with a crappy D15b. I dont really car about VTEC if i wanted more power later i would just get difrent cams. But i have read that B20's have a lot of torque & not many people really do B20 swaps. Can anyone give me the pros & cons? good idea or bad?

that swap is perty common now days it will go in just like all the others, it does have the most torque out of them and what a lot of ppl do is just add a b16a head to it.

i'm not gonna worry about swaping heads, its my daily driver & the D15 has over 200,000 miles in it. & i have to commute about 2 hours a day from school & back. if i swap, the new motor is staying completly stock.

What tranny would i use? The one that came out of the CR-V?

your gona need a b series tranny, and if i remember correct you will need a new intake manifold to, along with ecu axles shift linkage and mounts

The intake from the CR-V wont work? I already have a donor car, a 97' CR-V with real time awd. what all can i salvage from it that would fit my sol? i think it being AWD will be a problem with parts not working

i think the intake mainfold will be to tall for your hood to shut.i bet the crv your talking about is a auto so all you will be able to use is the ecu and motor

nope, the Cr-V & my Sol are both manual. & you are right the Intake sticks up about 6 inches

well im still unsure on the crv tranny, but any other b tranny will be fine, just make sure you dont get any kind of prelude b series stuff thats way different

ok, thanks i appreicate the advise, now i will just have to start the hunt for a B series tranny, maybe by next summer i will get it done.....

u def need an intake mani crv's too tall wont fit.. my buddy did a b20 swap into his ek used a type r trans it riped...

what donor car would you like to get your tranny out of it you were going to do the swap?

i think the B20 has a much shorter RedLine like 5500, would this make a diffrence in anything when looking for a tranny??

If it's just going to be for a DD, just get an LS tranny. They are pretty cheap and you can find them anywhere. A B16 or GSR tranny won't be necessary for cruising around town and just having fun. If you plan to do anything else in the near future, then you might want to consider one of those two options. I have the B20 swap with a B16 tranny in my EF hatch, and I am quite pleased with it.

You can run the LS intake and exhaust mani on that. According to dyno numbers, it improves things a bit. You won't be able to fit the B20 intake mani under the hood.

As for the redline comment, don't take it over 6 grand. If I am not mistaken, that is the redline on those motors and you don't create any more power after that, so it's not worth the risks of blowing it up.

Let us know how it goes...

Last edited:
i have a friend that wrecked his 97 hatch, he had a B16a swap so maybe i can track that down & get his tranny, if its still in the yard he sold it to

keep ya posted

I have a b20 with a b16 head and im using a gsr tranny its smooth and very reliable I have an extra gsr tranny if u want

A friend of mine's autox car is a hatch with a b20 and itr trans. The thing is almost unbearable on the highway with the revs sitting so high. You feel like you're going to kill the damn thing sitting so close to redline at 80 mph. Personally, I'd try to get an itr/b16 trans and install an ls 5th gear for the highway.

Back