B20b Build Up Questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ksrcivic

ok im going to get rid of my 95 ex coupe with B16A swap and get a 92 Hatch and drop a B20B motor/turbo/gsr tranny the question i have is if I buy a B20B long block can I use the P30 intake manifold from a B16A3 Del Sol? I was told the all the B series stuff should bolt right up and then I was told that the intakes are not all the same on the b series and the bolt pattern would be different, can anyone help with this. Another thing that I need to find out is what is the rev range of the B20B what kinda RPM can it handle? i have heard so many differnet stories on this, i just need an answer from some who races their B20B. Also does anyone know how to install the Vtec oil squirters on the bottom of the motor I have never done this and I want to cool the bottom of the pistons in my motor when I get it I plan on running 8PSI of boost and would like to keep the bottom end in good shape, any help would be great, thanks!

The reason for the lots of stories is because there isn't necissarily one way to do it. so i think you should find someone that you know does it, and ask them. don't ask people on forums other wise you might get b/s answers like this one. HaHa, j/k.

About the rpm thing on the b20, i heard its really low(rpm). If you go for the b20 setup, change the cranks to one from a b17, which would give you a better r/s ratio; higher rpm.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Jan 29 2003, 10:26 PM
About the rpm thing on the b20, i heard its really low(rpm). If you go for the b20 setup, change the cranks to one from a b17, which would give you a better r/s ratio; higher rpm.

More misinformation........ you really don't need to use a B17 crank to rev high on a B20. Just use ARP bolts to hold it all together.

calesta i have heard u are the man when it comes to the B20 block, all i need to know is if the block will handle it i want to rev to 8500 max, i was told i can use the bottom end girdle from a type r and i could rev that high with ease, does anyone at all kno if i can use the b16a intake manifold on the b20b block? any help would be great i am about one week from starting to buy everything for the swap so i need help ASAP thanks!

Originally posted by ksrcivic@Feb 1 2003, 08:10 PM
calesta i have heard u are the man when it comes to the B20 block, all i need to know is if the block will handle it i want to rev to 8500 max, i was told i can use the bottom end girdle from a type r and i could rev that high with ease, does anyone at all kno if i can use the b16a intake manifold on the b20b block? any help would be great i am about one week from starting to buy everything for the swap so i need help ASAP thanks!

The block will hold if you rev it to 8500, as long as you build it right. Don't cheap out on your parts. Use ARP fasteners, good pistons, and good rods- and you'll be just fine. I revved to 8500 all the time over 45k miles on my block, and I didn't even have a crank girdle. I was more worried about floating a valve than anything else. I'm getting a crank girdle now, but that's mainly because I'm prepping for road course racing and a possible power peak over 9000 rpm. As far as B16 manifold on a B20, you need the B16 head to use the B16 manifold.

Originally posted by 22crazy@Feb 4 2003, 08:59 PM
whats a crank girdle and what does floating a valve mean?

Crank girdle is kind of a brace to keep your crank in place better during high rpm operations...

Floating a valve is when your valve springs can't close the valve fast enough and your valve stays open longer than it should. Crap happens if your valve is still open when your piston slams into it.

:eek:

bgfront-small.jpg

Back