B20b n/a budget all motor build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

philyphreak2127

Back in the Game
So after nearly two years without a Honda of my own I decided to pick up an engine that I helped pull from a b20 VTEC swap due to stripped head stud threads, rather than repair them my buddy purchased a whole new JDM b20b we swapped in the bottom end and he left the rest sitting his garage since. Well i decided it was time to see how much he wanted for it and the answer was $150. After thinking it over I agreed not realizing how much was coming with the engine. I pick it up and he gave me:b20b head less than 30k, short block with less than 100k, alternator, distributor, 2 sets of cams, 2 exhaust manifolds, 1 downpipe, a full stock cat back exhaust 3 fat five wheels, 2 valve covers.

So my plan is to build this engine up slowly when I can afford to. My question is what items can be had for cheap that would be worth an upgrade? i looked into intake manifolds and saw that an LS Mani can provide a slight upgrade, however I have found no actual evidence of this in terms of HP numbers. My ultimate goal is to build the engine around the low end power of the b20 and match it with a shorter ratio trans to further tale advantage of the power. I am building this with the thought of trying to spend less than 1500 on then engine itself.

To keep it really cheap like you are talking, I would just do a LS intake manifold (or maybe skunk2), a good intake, header, exhaust, a light flywheel, vtec transmission of your choice, and most importantly, get it dyno tuned to maximize your setup.

Stock turbo srt4s are not shit. That would be my daily driver that is very near hitting a 13 on that stock turbo at nearly 6,000 feet above sea level thank you very much. My project is going to be the n/a b20. I'm having a hard time finding high comp. Pistons for the b20 without VTEC, I'm assuming there are different clearances?

Last edited:
You want pistons for the Frankenstein. Not a B20 longblock. I would figure out the camshafts you want and start emailing a few piston companies for input based on desired compression and valve to piston clearance needed with the camshafts you want.

I don't like Neons either.

Eh, I watched the first Neon SRT-4 in Texas (driven in from Arkansas before they shipped any to Texas) throw down 230whp when it was rated for 215hp crank... pretty damn impressive for something straight off the lot and sandbagged to hell on the spec sheet.

Thank you phunky Buddha plus with little more than a diablo programmer they put down 300ish to the wheels. Wait I'm a bit confused I want pistons for a Frankenstein despite having no plans to run VTEC? I'm very mechanically inclined so I feel like there is info I'm lacking on this fact...

Its kinda funny to be honest my neon made me give up Hondas until buying the b20b. I'm thinking DA, or crx eventually. But we will see.

Thank you phunky Buddha plus with little more than a diablo programmer they put down 300ish to the wheels. Wait I'm a bit confused I want pistons for a Frankenstein despite having no plans to run VTEC? I'm very mechanically inclined so I feel like there is info I'm lacking on this fact...
My bad. Sorry I didn't see nonVTEC head. Maybe B16A P30 pistons? Or, if you want higher compression...get ahold of the piston companies like I was thinking.

p30s are 81, not 84mm... not going to fit.

ls/b20/b16 share rod design, and those are what will bolt up easily to the stock (or stock same shape) replacements.

so, if you can get an 84mm bore "p30" style piston, you'll fit the rod. you'll lose about .4CR without the vtec head to what the advertised compression is.

Back