b20z Swap Almost Done.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

avenger97

Whats up guys,
So here.s the thing.I purchased a B20z2 engine for my EJ6 about a year ago and the swap its almost done. I was able to purchase some parts for it, like an LS tranny, manifold, throttle cable, starter, clutch and fywheel, p75 ecu, PLM header, Innovative mounts, mishimoto radiator, Oem Del sol tranny bracket, new battery, what i believe is an ITR shift linkage. This is just to get it started so it coulbe be my daily. Well i quit my job about 2 months ago and i havent found anything around this area, and made the choice of joining the Army. Its a good opportunity to get a good job, help this great country, and of course to finish my Hatch!!

I was planning to purchase a GSR head maybe another computer and i guess buy all the necessary stuff to make my car Vtec.. i.ve heard the b20z block its a good start, (engine has about 90,000 miles)and i believe the path i wanna take is to make my car An All Motor, ohh and i still wanna keep my a/c if possible cause where i leave the heat is unbearable lol. Also ill be getting the ITR 5lug conversion,would i need any modification or its only a swap??
I'll probably be leaving in about a month and a half, so heres my question, it is better to build the WHOLE engine?? Or just the head??
Unfortunately i do not know how to do it myself so i.d probably be going to a shop with this assembly.
Would it be better to use for example the CTR pistons or any other ones? Do i even need to change any block parts? For the Vtec head i had a friend that upgraded to Supertech Valvetrain and said that parts were very reliable.. and thats what i want.

I want it to be reliable, functional and for it to last 30, 40 more years. I live in the El Paso area so maybe one of you guys knows a reliable shop in this area, or if i have to ship it i will no problem.
I would like the car to push around the 300 horsepower range, i think its a good number.
Please any info is appreciated, let me know of parts, prices, set up.. and that way i kinda understand the process.
Last time i didnt post pictures, ill try my best to do itthis time that way u can take a look at the car.
I <3 my Honda!!

300hp all motor would require a whole hell of a lot of work. If you're not doing it, you're going to spend a stupid amount of money.

I say, throw a mild turbo set-up on the stock b20 and call it a day. Maybe go with a VTEC head if you are so inclined, but that would require taking the motor apart to do it correctly and make it last. It's not just unbolting one head, and bolting the other on.

Ok i understand.
Maybe i went a little overboard with the 300 hp,(i.m not planning on going to the track or anything like that) how about just above the 200 mark,
will that work with just upgradin the VTEC head?(cams, valves, valves srings, retainers, manifold, injectors, fuel rail,throttle body)
My budget will be about from $5000 to $7000

I know its not the same, its not like changing the headers! But its something i wanna do.
Or should i just go for a n ITR engine?

An ITR engine is a car show piece. For what you pay for them, it's way more cost effective to get a GSR, or even build a motor like you want to.

Got you. So tell me about parts, prices.. if this was your build what would u get??
Blox, skunk2, supertech..
And do u know of a good place where i can get a GSR head with all the proper things to convert into VTEC

you already have the b20, so you might as well go through with the b20vtec build. A GSR or b16a head is fine, neither one is really better than the other for the build you want to do. I have had a crower valvetrain in my b20vtec (mine is a turbo built motor) for quite a while with no problems, and supertech is also good, many people use their parts with no probs.

As far as what other specific parts to use, I would get on HT and research other peoples b20vtec all motor builds. I can suggest general things you should do to meet you goal. High compression pistons, at least itr/ctr, if not higher than that, with valvetrain to match. While the head is at the machine shop, let them replace valve seals, and anything else that is worn. Often, old used vtec heads need love when you get them. Some eagle H beam rods would be nice, not too expensive but plenty strong. You will need a good header, most guys seem to like the triY style on an all motor b series, but form your own opinions after doing some research. A skunk2 or blox intake manifold with a matched throttle body should be fine. Some sort of engine management to tune it properly. A lighter flywheel and beefier clutch than stock, and preferably a LSD transmission, GSR trans is great, or ITR of course.

To get a b20vtec to make lots of power (220+whp, you will need high compression, good cams, and high revs (which is why you need rods, or at least rod bolts). The stock bottom end on the b20 was not made to turn more than about 7k rpms. hope some of this helps.

Thanks for answerin.
Yes and i did a little bit of research and i believe the CTR pistons and rings would be a good choice, along withe the eagle rods, Also for the VTEC head i was thinkin Blox cams, manifold, throttle body, and cam gears. And get all the Supertech goodies.(valves, valve springs, retainers) Also ill be doing the itr 5 lug.. is that just a simple swap??
The thing that i.d need is a list of what to get when gettin the VTEC head.. do i need like another harness? Another computer? Sensors.. eetc.. and where would i start searching for one.. ebay? Or do u know of a good shop or place that might have one.

search

you already have the b20, so you might as well go through with the b20vtec build. A GSR or b16a head is fine, neither one is really better than the other for the build you want to do. I have had a crower valvetrain in my b20vtec (mine is a turbo built motor) for quite a while with no problems, and supertech is also good, many people use their parts with no probs.

As far as what other specific parts to use, I would get on HT and research other peoples b20vtec all motor builds. I can suggest general things you should do to meet you goal. High compression pistons, at least itr/ctr, if not higher than that, with valvetrain to match. While the head is at the machine shop, let them replace valve seals, and anything else that is worn. Often, old used vtec heads need love when you get them. Some eagle H beam rods would be nice, not too expensive but plenty strong. You will need a good header, most guys seem to like the triY style on an all motor b series, but form your own opinions after doing some research. A skunk2 or blox intake manifold with a matched throttle body should be fine. Some sort of engine management to tune it properly. A lighter flywheel and beefier clutch than stock, and preferably a LSD transmission, GSR trans is great, or ITR of course.

To get a b20vtec to make lots of power (220+whp, you will need high compression, good cams, and high revs (which is why you need rods, or at least rod bolts). The stock bottom end on the b20 was not made to turn more than about 7k rpms. hope some of this helps.
Aren't the B20 cylinder walls really weak? Even in an all motor application.

Aren't the B20 cylinder walls really weak? Even in an all motor application.

Not a worry in all motor, hes not going that extreme. If you crack cylinders all motor, it wasnt tuned, or tuned like shit.

And yes, i did crack the stock sleeves in my motor a couple years ago... but i was asking for it. Motor was bored to 84.5mm and i was doing a 5th gear pull, massive load on the engine under boost. And it should be noted that i drove around for a couple years before that beating on it with a JRSC at about 250whp with NO problems.

Thanks for answerin.
Yes and i did a little bit of research and i believe the CTR pistons and rings would be a good choice, along withe the eagle rods, Also for the VTEC head i was thinkin Blox cams, manifold, throttle body, and cam gears. And get all the Supertech goodies.(valves, valve springs, retainers) Also ill be doing the itr 5 lug.. is that just a simple swap??
The thing that i.d need is a list of what to get when gettin the VTEC head.. do i need like another harness? Another computer? Sensors.. eetc.. and where would i start searching for one.. ebay? Or do u know of a good shop or place that might have one.

Did you look at the lsvtec guide here on HS? theres too much info out there on lsvtec builds, im not spoon feeding everything. as far as harness, you will have to run a wire for vtec if the car did not originally have vtec. For the computer, you will need to get your computer chipped/socketed. in other words have a tuner install a usb port, and get a b20vtec basemap on there to get it started. you can buy ecus from xenocron online if you like. But your current ecu will work, vtec can be added to it when they chip it.

To get a b20vtec to run optimally a dyno tuning session will be necessary. you need to find a local shop with a dyno that tunes hondas and talk to the guy that does it, and find out what hes familiar with tuning. Neptune, hondata, and ECtune seem to be the most common and best three types that your average joe honda guy will go with.

All the b20 blocks are a stock 84mm bore. The main difference between a b20z1 engine and a b20b is in the head, the cr is not worth talking about because you are getting new pistons anyway.

Ok actually i was able to find a shop in my area. I guess i will go with them with the rest of my questions, but thanks for your info guys.

Back